ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smoothing info

Nike Lunar Elite's

Just after any info on how to go about smoothing doors (after removing side bump strips) and flushing the tailgate. One of my mates is planning on doing this to his mk3 clio but wants to just use filler. Will this just crack? Is it worth welding a metal plate in place and filling over the top? Anyone know of any online guides to pick up a few tips and tricks? How much would it cost to get this done at a bodyshop? Can anyone recommend any bodyshops, the closer to Wolverhampton the better? Sorry bout all the questions. Any help or advice would be great.

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

I paid 150 a door inc spraying mate. and its a spot on job. was done about 1 year ago and its look perfect. But u could try it yourself. wouldnt recomend just filler though. would prob fiberglass or weld a plate then a skim of filler to smooth it all!

Nike Lunar Elite's

Cheers guys. Anyone else had any experiences with just using filler? tom-m was that price for filling or welding / fibreglass?

S4 (320bhp) + Clio 16v

not surehow they did it think they fiberglasses and a skim of filler. well basicly that price was to reomove it smooth it and paint it. type k sytling did it. they did a job job as well

Filler will crack. No question about it. It need to be welded. Mine were welded lead filled and then scimmed with filler. He is wasting time and money trying to do it him self. Call Blade street mods on 07759234331. Tell Craig that Ben directed you to him.

Nike Lunar Elite's

Yea, where are they based turbo man? I didnt think filler would be too good, but I just wanted to check. Any other bodyshops people can recommend, preferably in the midlands?

Nike Lunar Elite's

Just found out they are in essex, thats way to far but thanx mate. Anywhere else? Anyone used rj automotive?

Punto/Clio GTT

easy people. k this is my own recommendation, not sayin its right or wrong.. people have their own ways of doin stuff.

welding plates behind those small holes is basically pointless.. the holes are that small youd just be making the job bigger than need be (welding, grinding etc etc). Get yourself a can of fibreglass from halfords ( £11.99 ish) n just put a tight skim from inside the door. when its gone off, smooth it level from the outside. Now get some easy sand ( £8.99 ish) and skim the hole on the outside. rub it down with ya block n primer it asap. then paint it.. My friend delocked his doors n welded plates onto the back and ending up buckling his door which was a right b*tch to fill. moulding holes are tiny..not worth welding.. get that fibreglass on there :p mail me if u got any questions bout bodywork peeps :)

FM

i sort of agree. welding causes the need for more filler. lead loading is a thing of the past as modern metal based filler is more flexible and durable. as long as you fill to bare metal it will be fine. mine does 150 on bumpy welsh b roads and has never cracked or even glazed.

Nike Lunar Elite's

Cheers folks, but i dont understand how just filling the holes would work cus you have still got a fairly deep recess on the outside of the door to worry about.

Punto/Clio GTT

easy people. recess... only way i can think of is mix up some filler, use the spreader sideways and smooth it into the bottom part of your door by about 4-5 inches use a long-bed rubbin down block. if you try rubbin it down with a lil rubber block its gonna look like the alps when you look along your car. Hope that helps :)

FM