ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So hard to find a car!

None
Hi Guys. Wondered if you guys could help me out.

I have about £1150 initially to spend on a car and I really want a clio. Has to be a 1.2 because of insurance. I have searched everywhere and nothing decent is showing up. I'm from Huddersfield and can't travel too far to pick up the car.*

Thanks, Ben.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The wider the net, the bigger the fish....

Why can't you travel far, do you get car sick?

None
Because I don't have a car now so I need my dad to drive me there, and he doesn't want to go far and then not like the car etc.*

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
W reg clio down my way just had new mot 2x front tyres, headgasket, cambelt etc £800

RS6 C7
It's worth travelling to find the right car, I'm sure you can find someone to take you a few miles or a get a train / flight cheap, I found a flight for 2 to Scotland from Birmingham for £30 each! , Cars do seem cheaper up north for some reason.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
i would of thought you could find loads within about 30/40 miles of you. are you checking all the wesbites etc ? not just one

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It makes me angry when people moan they can't find a car within 4 streets of their home address.

To the OP; if your Dad won't take you, get a mate to. Pay his fuel, buy him a burger king at the halfway mark and go on a road trip.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
This ^^ ive been on countless road trips with best mates, some worthwhile some not, had a laugh either way. I see what your saying but you have to be willing to travel im afraid

None
1.5 DCi is same insurance? You sure? And non of my mates drive yet haha, they're all still learning!*
What sites are good to look on? I've tried autotrader and ebay but whenever I go to view a car, they are all sheds.

Astra gsi turbo
It makes me angry when people moan they can't find a car within 4 streets of their home address.

To the OP; if your Dad won't take you, get a mate to. Pay his fuel, buy him a burger king at the halfway mark and go on a road trip.

You were going to make a offer on my car but said it was to far

renault clio
sorry this post isnt about a clio i have a clio and my lights are dirty, yellowish inside and was wondering how to clean them, also there is a black 04 plate clio in warrington where i am from wor £1000 and it has some mods.

Try ebay, autotrader, pistonheads, gumtree, local ads and auctions surely you can find something. You will if you can do as per above and get a mate to take you, train etc..

Mk1 Focus RS
i would advise widening your search. i travelled two hours on the train to crewe to look at a 182. my mates thought i was crazy but when i saw the car i knew it was worth the travelling...even left a deposit and caught the train the following week again to pick the car up.

its sod's law whenever your not looking for a certain car that there are loads for sale near you but none when your looking to buy.

just how it is im afraid but good luck finding one :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You were going to make a offer on my car but said it was to far

Thats a bit different. I buy cars to sell them. If i'm making £200 on a car and it costs me £190 to get it, it kind of defeats the object.

Astra gsi turbo
that wasnt the case tho. i was selling for £2200. i got £2100 from a local garage who sold it within 2 weeks for £3695

1.5 DCi is same insurance? You sure? And non of my mates drive yet haha, they're all still learning!*
What sites are good to look on? I've tried autotrader and ebay but whenever I go to view a car, they are all sheds.

well to say the most basic 1.5dci is lower BHP than a 1.2 and overall less power (same insurance group) why would it be any more to insure than the petrol??

MK3 GTI golf 16v
well to say the most basic 1.5dci is lower BHP than a 1.2 and overall less power (same insurance group) why would it be any more to insure than the petrol??

diesels for me are far more expensive to insure, pretty irrelevent of size etc. must be down to the person ? ( bare in mind im young and im guessing the OP is as well)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
that wasnt the case tho. i was selling for £2200. i got £2100 from a local garage who sold it within 2 weeks for £3695

It was the case though.

Yours was the 182 with 8 7/8 owners wasn't it?

I don't keep stock like that, I trade it on. So I would have sold it to another garage for about £25/2600. To drive to scotland and back for zero profit is stupid.

If it was a car that I was keeping for myself, then I'd have done the trip no problem. Infact i'm off to Selby on tuesday and sunderland on thursday.

So yes, it was the case.

Last edited:
  renault clio
theres a nice clio here in warrington if you travel here and i will take you? and anyone know how to clean clio lights the lens it is like dirty and yellowish like its scrathed or something :/

MK3 GTI golf 16v
theres a nice clio here in warrington if you travel here and i will take you? and anyone know how to clean clio lights the lens it is like dirty and yellowish like its scrathed or something :/

search headlight correction

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Because I don't have a car now so I need my dad to drive me there, and he doesn't want to go far and then not like the car etc.*

Can of whoop-ass on said dad.

Did a round trip of 500miles today with my old man (in his car, I hasten to add) to go looking at a car for me. Tell him to stop being tight and that you'll pay the petrol to go on viewings.... ;)

D.

diesels for me are far more expensive to insure, pretty irrelevent of size etc. must be down to the person ? ( bare in mind im young and im guessing the OP is as well)

Im not sure, ive only ever had a diesel! but my mate who has a 1.2 is paying more for his insurance than i am on mine, so like you say it must be down to the idividual... but i guess its something for ben to look for instead of all the 1.2's thats out his price range.... also don't forget diesels are £30 to tax and on average get 20MPG more than a 1.2

fiesta 1.25
Also depends what you define as "decent" if your one of these people who wants all for nothing (after a perfect 2005 campus with low mileage for £1150) then your obviously going to have no luck.

What shape are you after?

Clio 1.2 16V
Think it took a good few weeks to find mine, not fun when you really want your first car :( . Doubt you'll get a decent DCi for your price range, also if you're not going to do that many miles then it probably wont save you all that much money in fuel. But yeah as others have said you might have to widen your search and see some further away ones :/

None
Okay didn't want to have to say but he doesn't want to travel because my nan is in a hospice with not long to live and he wants to be able to get there quick if he has to. 40 miles is my limit. And I want the car to be right, so it can be hard to find.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Okay didn't want to have to say but he doesn't want to travel because my nan is in a hospice with not long to live and he wants to be able to get there quick if he has to. 40 miles is my limit. And I want the car to be right, so it can be hard to find.

That's a totally different reason, then.

Apologies.

D.

RS6 C7
It was the case though.

Yours was the 182 with 8 7/8 owners wasn't it?

I don't keep stock like that, I trade it on. So I would have sold it to another garage for about £25/2600. To drive to scotland and back for zero profit is stupid.

If it was a car that I was keeping for myself, then I'd have done the trip no problem. Infact i'm off to Selby on tuesday and sunderland on thursday.

So yes, it was the case.

How do you normally pick cars up? Do you travel down by car or just catch a train? Just wondering lol

None
I want this shape more than anything...

seymv9.gif

The miles isn't too important, but anything over 120,000 i feel is a bit too much!*
I would like at least 6 months MOT as I don't have a full time job yet. (Still at college)
Tax isn't too much of a problem, it is supposed to be cheap on Clio's right?

renault clio
i have that exact car 51 plate in silver with 90000 miles and i would be happy to sell it to you, it has mot until september and tax until end of this month. i have had the back lights sprayed and also headlights have been done(xenon both normal and full beam also led side lights. if you interested let me know.