ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Airbag ECU Removal... Questions!

Clio 182
Hi all!!

I've searched the forum and come up with a few results, but nothing concrete.

The background is that I've bought a Clio race car, and the entire airbag system has been removed (airbags, sensors, ecu, etc).

I was planning to buy an Airbag ECU, plug it in, and the configure it for No airbags fitted... So the Airbag and SERV lights clear from the dash.

Initially looked OK, but now reading that the airbags have to be connected when you configure them out? Obviously I don't want to buy the full system to then disconnect it and bin it all (barring the ecu) straight away.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.
Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_20230430_163820.jpg
    IMG_20230430_163820.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the airbags would need to be connected, when I coded out my seat airbags with my rs tuner it was done with the new seats in, so not connected and all was fine.
I'm sure I've read on here at some point though, that you'll always get the SERV and airbag lights on if you remove the airbag ECU entirely, although I'm sure someone will confirm.

Clio 182
I don't think the airbags would need to be connected, when I coded out my seat airbags with my rs tuner it was done with the new seats in, so not connected and all was fine.
I'm sure I've read on here at some point though, that you'll always get the SERV and airbag lights on if you remove the airbag ECU entirely, although I'm sure someone will confirm.
Thanks for that. The plan will be to leave an Airbag ECU fitted once I've bought one... Just didn't want to buy that, to find out I need to buy all the airbags too.

Previous owner just put up with a dash full of warnings... My theory is that if anything goes wrong you're less likely to notice it if there's loads of lights already on.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for that. The plan will be to leave an Airbag ECU fitted once I've bought one... Just didn't want to buy that, to find out I need to buy all the airbags too.

Previous owner just put up with a dash full of warnings... My theory is that if anything goes wrong you're less likely to notice it if there's loads of lights already on.
Ah that makes more sense, clearly I didn't read properly. But yeah you should be fine coding them all out without any plugged in as far as I know.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
With RSTuner you don't have to have the airbags plugged in, you actually want the opposite.

It'll tell you which ones are not detected and you just disable those.

Clio 182
With RSTuner you don't have to have the airbags plugged in, you actually want the opposite.

It'll tell you which ones are not detected and you just disable those.
Thanks mate.

Don't suppose anyone can confirm the part number of ecu I need for a 2005?

As mentioned, there's not one fitted at the moment so nothing to cross reference to!!

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
8200277317 is the part number for a 182 I believe, if that helps at all. Believe they're the same across the Clio 2 range though, just configured differently depending on what config of car it's come from.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
8200277317 is the part number on my 182, 54 plate if that helps at all. Believe they're the same across the Clio 2 range though, just configured differently depending on what config of car it's come from.
Ah OK. That's a different PN to the one I nearly bought on ebay which said it was for a 2001 - 2006.

Maybe I'll have to sweet talk my local dealership for a part number. Lol

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You can have airbag ecu connected and no airbags configured or connected and light/servlight works good, saves multiplex issues and xmas tree dash. Had it setup like that on my old Kangoo 172.

Any clio2 airbag ecu will work OK, cheap used out of a povo spec will be fine.

Clio 182
You can have airbag ecu connected and no airbags configured or connected and light/servlight works good, saves multiplex issues and xmas tree dash. Had it setup like that on my old Kangoo 172.

Any clio2 airbag ecu will work OK, cheap used out of a povo spec will be fine.

Okay that sounds good. So as far as you know, it doesn't matter what PN ECU I end up with, as long as it's MK2 PH2?

Right PITA not having one to compare it to.

Clio 182
Hi mate.

Bit of a strange one... connected the replacement ECU, and got CLIP connected and started to reconfigure the module to show "Without" for every airbag. Got 4 faults for Driver and Passenger airbags (Circuits 1 and 2 for each) that won't clear. Showing CO on clip with is Open circuit... configured to show it hasnt got them, but the faults are "Present" and won't erase.

I don't suppose you know if there's a procedure to follow? I read somewhere that someone mentioned Locking/Unlocking the ECU before and after configuring? I juts went in a reconfigured.

Cheers

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate.

Bit of a strange one... connected the replacement ECU, and got CLIP connected and started to reconfigure the module to show "Without" for every airbag. Got 4 faults for Driver and Passenger airbags (Circuits 1 and 2 for each) that won't clear. Showing CO on clip with is Open circuit... configured to show it hasnt got them, but the faults are "Present" and won't erase.

I don't suppose you know if there's a procedure to follow? I read somewhere that someone mentioned Locking/Unlocking the ECU before and after configuring? I juts went in a reconfigured.

Cheers
Not sure about with clip, but on the rstuner you need to lock the ECU, then reconfigure, then unlock and then just ignition off and on and the lights will be gone.
Again this is very specific to the rstuner, but I followed this video for the general procedure, if it's similar with clip it may help?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
No need to lock ecu when reconfiguring.

The clone clip are a bit sketchy on clio2 when reconfiguring airbags. I done one a while back and more and more faults kept appearing with each change. Restarted the clip software and it sorted itself out.

Clio 182
Not sure about with clip, but on the rstuner you need to lock the ECU, then reconfigure, then unlock and then just ignition off and on and the lights will be gone.
Again this is very specific to the rstuner, but I followed this video for the general procedure, if it's similar with clip it may help?

A lock/unlock and ign cycle then allowed me to erase those codes!

I now have 0 fault codes, but a airbag warning still on 🙄

There's still a request from the airbag ecu for the warning to be on. May require more digging! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20230520_204753_edit_269360889966189.jpg
    IMG_20230520_204753_edit_269360889966189.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20230520_204802.jpg
    IMG_20230520_204802.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I had similar issues to this and i cant remember how i got round it. Serv light on?

Clio 182
I had similar issues to this and i cant remember how i got round it. Serv light on?
Ahhh get thinking! 🤣

Yes, SERV and Airbag light on. I haven't checked, but had a thought this morning that maybe there's a fault logged in the UCH for the airbag ecu from when I first plugged it in?

Clio 182
Ahhh get thinking! 🤣

Yes, SERV and Airbag light on. I haven't checked, but had a thought this morning that maybe there's a fault logged in the UCH for the airbag ecu from when I first plugged it in?
So, to update, I had a code stored in the UCH for Airbag multiplex.... Presuming from when the changes were made. Cleared the code, and didn't seem to make a difference. Disconnected the battery (as its a race battery so I always flick the isolator) and next time I came to it were all good