ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Some Photography Projects from Work

At long last, I finally have time at work to start some photography projects I've been asked to do. Mainly some promotional posters for around the building, and a few others for brochure use etc.

I started with some normal product shots, nothing too special. I'm still learning, so it takes quite a while to get the lighting perfect, or as goos as I can get it I should say!

IMG_0894_copy.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

But today I started the new shots, I was told to take shots of people using our equipment, rather than them on their own.

First shot from today:

Foram.jpg

Here's a set-up shot, without the 'model' obviously ;) Two 500W flashes, and an SB900 under the table to light the background.

IMAG0199_edit0.jpg

I should be back at it tomorrow, I've got a challenging idea for the next product, not sure if I can pull it off. Time will tell......

Cupra
They look spot on. The only thing that looks a bit off is the screen. It has too much "pop" (on my iPad screen anyway). Perhaps a noise filter or reducing the exposure levels on it in PS would soften it enough?

Nikon D700
They look spot on. The only thing that looks a bit off is the screen. It has too much "pop" (on my iPad screen anyway). Perhaps a noise filter or reducing the exposure levels on it in PS would soften it enough?

I was thinking the same actually. I assume it wasn't photographed, but is merely a screen shot? Apart from that, they're seriously ace though - most importantly - did you enjoy it?

Yeh it's a pretty neat part of my job ;)

I thought the screenshot looked ok, as you can guess, it was edited in in Photoshop.

I might make a few tweaks tomorrow then.

Bus w**ker
As above, the shots are spot on Dan but the 'shopped screen is a bit off. As Andy said it appears a bit too bright, on my shitty monitor at work, and it also looks sharper than the rest of the image, taking the focus off the product itself. Bet that woman felt like a right plank lol.

RIP Dan
Are you the Freeman in Foster and Freeman?

I have always wondered how the hell these shots are done. Have an idea for the August comp but not got the setup like this, arse.

Thanks Nick, yes a lot of work is needed. Shame my boss thinks it's a five minute job!

Just finished another product, took me half the day to get TWO photos. One I'm really happy with, the other is a Marmite shot.

Onto the next session after lunch :)

I'll post up the new shots when I get home .

A few more from today.

My favourite:

CL-ML-2.jpg

The marmite shot:

CL-ML-3.jpg

This was a kind of spur of the moment shot, we did set up for something different, but we quickly did this shot which works kind of well I think.

VSC40-1.jpg

Can't even comprehend how you would go about deciding where to place those two whacking great big flashes.... results, as always, look spot on to me!

lol. Well I persuaded the company to let me buy some proper kit for the studio. I basically said to them 'if you want to get proper 'professional' looking shots, I can't do it with cheap s**t of ebay'

The studio was already built when we moved in, so we just need the kit.

I said with a budget of about £5k, I could get everything I needed. That included - lights, product photography table (manfrotto), lens, Photoshop CS5 and a few other bits and pieces.

It's a pretty kitted out studio at the moment, I'm still on a massive learning curve though. Practice makes perfect as they so though!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
You did well. My employer wouldn't supply me with stationary to do my job!

Surprised you went for a legit software if I'm aloud to say that?

Think my dad is going to buy me a product table, wont be a 'frotto though. As always il have a tight budget.

Well we used to use, and still do use a bit, a 'pro' photographer. He charges a small fortune to do this sort of stuff, like most pros! And now we don't have to transport all the gear to his studio to do the shoot, it's all done in house which is a massive time saver too!

So although it cost the company £5k to kit out the studio, I think it will save them quite a bit over a year. It's a shame I don't see any of that dosh in my pay packet :( Still, it's good fun though, so I can't complain.

The computer in the studio is hooked up to the network, so it's a case of legit or nothing.

When it wasn't networked, that was a different story though *cough cough*

Had a nice couple of days in the studio at work this week, we're redoing our brochure, so time for some fresh pics of our products.

These products are handheld forensic light sources, used for finding evidence at crime scenes (in a nutshell). Being silver, they're a bit of a challenge to photograph on a white background, I'm still learning but I'm happy with the results. I'm getting better every time I go in the studio now.

IMG_1869.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

As always, some set-up shots for you camera geeks ;)

Photo-29-03-2012-11-01-53.jpg

Photo-28-03-2012-10-40-53.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great work as always mate. Interesting to see the 'behind the scenes' shots too, I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the flashes on a shot like this!

Oil Burner
Superb shots Dan.

Sounds like i might of finally convinced my work to give me some decent kit as well. Very much looking forward to starting to use it.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Great shots.

FHM do this quite a lot, always wondered how they were achieved.

Great work as always mate. Interesting to see the 'behind the scenes' shots too, I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the flashes on a shot like this!

+1

Is it trial and error or a tried and tested formula of light positioning Dan?

As I'm a little bit more experienced, I have a rough idea where to place them, but the final tweaking is very much try it and see.

The flashes have modelling lights on too, essentially a constant light (not a flash) so you can pretty much see what the shadows etc will look like when the flash goes off. So you don't always have to take a photo, review....reposition...repeat.

Lovely shots Dan

Why all the different colours for such a 'serious' piece of work kit? They all say 82S! Please tell me they are all different and that the police aren't using pretty colours aka mobile phone snap on kits!

Oil Burner
Lovely shots Dan

Why all the different colours for such a 'serious' piece of work kit? They all say 82S! Please tell me they are all different and that the police aren't using pretty colours aka mobile phone snap on kits!

Different colour lights maybe? I think you use different colours lights for showing up different things, like blue for blood. Or the police just like the pretty colours lol (actually probably just as likely an answer!)

lol! Yes in essence the different colours are used for detecting different things. Semen fluoresces best under blue light for example, I know as I had to do a full study on it! (before anyone asks, I didn't provide the juices!!)