ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

some sort of rattling when i go over speed bumps

G51 BEN
it has been doing this for a while now, has caused no problems with the car but im just curious.

whenever i go over speed bumps or mount a kerb, i hear a rattling noise above or around my front left wheel.

its hard to describe the rattling noise, but imagine a hamsters wheel spinning round three times... its that kind of noise.

its sort of three or so tapping/rattling kind of noises that you would expect from a spinning drum ie. washing machine or similar, that happens AFTER ive gone over the speed bump and last for about a second or so. It isnt TOO loud but i can clearly hear it with no music on. It also only seems to be coming from just the front left wheel or around that area.

Clio 172
Try the mounts on the exhaust mate as cheapest option it could be a bit of give in them causing the exhaust to go up and down.Renaults are renowed for having crap exhausts.i had exactly the same problem ended up being the driveshaft was worn on the drivers side,when going over bumps or unstable ground it would move around make the rattling noise.

Had this on a friends 1.2! Couldn't find a problem with it, swapped all the suspension over to new suspension and it went away! ( he wanted a new kit anyway ) So we reckon it was a faulty shock! Was strange how it knocked after the bump, once the car had levelled out!

G51 BEN
yeah aliengravy you seem closest so far. i dont think its the exhaust to be honest.... and yeah it does knock AFTER the bump once the car is level which is odd

G51 BEN
yes i know but its not in the right place for that. its literally coming from above my left wheel..

I have this problem when going over bumps, or when changing directions quickly.

Only started since fitting my new rear AST coilovers.

Going to check the struts are tight, and check the boot lid aswell.

yes i know but its not in the right place for that. its literally coming from above my left wheel..

checked ur wheel arch liners?? one of mine fell off...

also...had some large stones trapped behind it (had parked for ages on gravel and the weight of the car stuck them to the tyre, when i reversed it kicked them up)

Renault Clio Dynamique S
Ive got the same problem on mine, Im going to the garage to see about it today so be able to say in a bit what it is.