ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something let go this morning

2003 Clio 172
Found one in the driveshaft boot

20191006_164523.jpg

2003 Clio 172
One query.

I was of the opinion that the 182 style diff setup was supposed to be more robust than the 172........is this a normal failure as far as you guys are concerned?

@NorthloopCup when you build these, do you use this 4 bolt system or do you use the renfort plate with more bolts?

I guess I was hoping to see the old run of the mill type failure and was happy with the notion of going to the bolted style so this has spooked me a bit.

I also guess that these would probably not all have failed at once and was wondering, could this have been the cause for my grumbling gearbox under load in higher gears lower rpm (think i posted a vid a while ago)

J

2003 Clio 172
Yeah, this was it. video

There is no play in the arb, joints, top mounts, rack ends, rack bushes

I also had a little look (briefly) at the inner tripod of the shaft and i see no damage or missing pin bearings etc and the outer certainly feels tight

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
One query.

I was of the opinion that the 182 style diff setup was supposed to be more robust than the 172........is this a normal failure as far as you guys are concerned?

@NorthloopCup when you build these, do you use this 4 bolt system or do you use the renfort plate with more bolts?

I guess I was hoping to see the old run of the mill type failure and was happy with the notion of going to the bolted style so this has spooked me a bit.

I also guess that these would probably not all have failed at once and was wondering, could this have been the cause for my grumbling gearbox under load in higher gears lower rpm (think i posted a vid a while ago)

J
I have NEVER seen one of these fail mate, so I would suggest something else has been the cause of this failure. The bolts aren’t high tensile bolts either - just 8.8’s.

When I convert them I use the Renault bolt on plate and bolts mate.

Yeah it certainly sounds like it, but once one had gone, there’s quite a lot of load running through the diff, so the drive cup would’ve been under increased loading.

2003 Clio 172
Right guys......currently weighing up what I would be up against to swap this box by taking a shiney refurbished item from mr @NorthloopCup. Financial decision mainly atm but i am just trying to get everything straight in my head.

I have limited room to work (have to work out how to get it up drive still) but have the tools to do the job, just trying to convince myself I can

So the best course of action is the subframe drop from what I am reading.

To facilitate that, I would expect to have to

- pull drivers side shaft (passengers is already out)
- disconnect exhaust at cat
- disconnect steering rack joint (or is there a better approach)
- pull the top strut mounts
- disconnect gear linkage/dogbone
- support engine and box from above (f'in big fence post and ratchet)
- disconnect gearbox lower mount from subframe
- loosen down drivers side subframe bolts and smaller rear plate bolts
- remove passenger side subframe bolts and smaller rear plate bolts
- lower subframe as far as it will go on passenger side
- remove starter
- remove gearbox upper mount (battery tray)
- remove gearbox bolts
- remove gearbox through passenger side arch

I have reserved a GSF Premium clutch which I hope will be a Valeo item, if not I will get one elsewhere. This should be the later 826558 part i hope.

What about the flywheel, should I be pulling that and having that refinished or is the general consensus that it will be ok? 120K miles with a bit of judder on bite

Worth chopping in a new clutch cable while I am at it?

One other thing is with the Valeo kit, there seems to be a fitting tool that leaves a metal ring on the centre of the flywheel when removed. Has anyone used that or taken issue with that? Personally, not a fan of have something floating round in there that is not bolted in. The below is from their site

1570533904038.png

Finally, I had been running Fuchs ( or Silkolene, can't remember) fully synth gear oil (which is now sparkly btw :/ ) What are the current recommendations for a refurbed box going in? Had seen Redline MTL mentioned recently?

Anything else you could think of would be useful team

Cheers
J

monaco 172
Sounds about right, although I found that the subframe needed lowering both sides to get the passenger side to drop enough to get the box out.

I also just used a jack under the sump with some wood to spread the load.

I've fitted 2 valeo clutches and never had an issue with the piece you wack into the centre, just make sure it's knocked in home nice and snug. You don't actually need to use it but it just makes centering the plate much easier so the box goes on first time

2003 Clio 172
Wow. I am so unfit......lol

20191112_153832.jpg

Finally got the box out. Clutch looks fine but will be replaced. Strange wear on springs......normal?

20191112_153820.jpg

I gather it makes sense to throw in a clutch cable at this stage as well?

What about this flywheel? Not looking perfection nor a track car but in days gone by we used to get them skimmed? No lip or scores, just some heat spots and a bit of crazing (light surface cracks)

20191112_182208.jpg

J

2003 Clio 172
Also, can anyone confirm the correct clutch for this car? This is the one that was on it... renault code and green springs so I am assuming valeo oem?

20191112_182241.jpg

monaco 172
Cable is a pain to change weather the box is in or out, box out doesnt really help much so I'd leave it for now unless its showing signs of wear

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Christ I remember replacing a clutch cable on my Valver, first time i didn't have the foresight to use the old one to pull the new cable through. That was a nasty copy part which failed pretty quick so I fitted the new genuine cable much more easily. Still a bugger though.

2003 Clio 172
Well.......with the old clutch it was a brutally creaky affair.........not sure if that was down to the clutch alone

Still worth it?

2003 Clio 172
Ok. Mr @NorthloopCup furnished me with one of his lovely rebuilds so starting the process of getting that in.

New clutch in and have noticed that pedal is still creaking ruling out the clutch/release bearing etc so it simply has to be the clutch cable but I just cannot budget for that right now (after the Redline MTL purchase.....eurgh......lol). It looks a baller of a job and I don't think that the box out helps at all so will park it until a later date.

Took the opportunity to replace all of the ARB bushes which was still a tool of a job with the subframe dropped so cannot imagine how horrid that would be in situ.

What else?.........erm.........sure there is loads but I will remember later

Oh yeah, the gear linkage.......how do i go about reconnecting that? Do i put the gearbox selector in a certain position and then re-attach the gear linkage?

J

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
Normally @NorthloopCup will post the gearbox back to you with reverse gear selected. So it's just a case of sliding the linkage back onto the gearbox link shaft and then test and adjust until you can select all of the gears.
Really you should have marked the linkage before you removed it so you could put it back into the same place it started in. But it's not the end of the world m8.

2003 Clio 172
He did bud. And i fiddled to get the other bit one (with the boot) and now its not although I am fairly sure I can get it there again so I hope that will help. I think it was roughly in the middle of back and forth movement and push it into the box and then towards the bulkhead side, right?

And yes, i should have marked it but by the time I had got the car winched into the garage I had already 99% lost the plot and "get the box out" rage had kicked in. lol

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
It doesnt actually matter what position the box is in if you disconnected it under the boot on the old box

2003 Clio 172
I did that as the replacement didn't had the oily, hangy, dangly thing that goes into the linkage

2003 Clio 172
So....this is depressing. Easing the subframe back up after being super careful to not move the wheel or the rack......well.....looks like I have managed to do just that ffs :(

Steering wheel was on lock so it wasnt that but noticed when the rack end slid into the joint that the little recess (for the bolt) was on the wrong side. *gutted*

Given the subframe is still loose, what can I do?

I literally have no idea how this could have happened but it must like literally be one turn either way