ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sony DSLR-A200K 10.2MP 18-70mm

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Good first digital slr? My budget is around £300.

Nikon/Canon will give you far more choices for lens' in the future.

It's like having the choice between Audi/BMW and then buying a Citroen.

Good value TBH, built in IS, dust reduction etc. For the price you probably wont find much better!! But Would still try and raise a bit more to go for a Nikon/Canon/Olympus.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Revels has it in one there I think !

Buy a 400/450D (or Nikon equivalent) and just upgrade your lenses as and when you can afford (or need) to :)

On a budget, best money is spent on lenses rather than a camera body.

Highly recommend getting to Jessops / John Lewis and trying out a few around what you can afford. I personally found the Nikon (D40 I think?) a right PITA to use, and the Canon (450D) really easy.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nikon/Canon will give you far more choices for lens' in the future.

It's like having the choice between Audi/BMW and then buying a Citroen.
lol, you're saying that on a renault site ;)

We all took the cheaper option!

anyway, there is nothing wrong with the sony, its not got the same slr pedigree as nikon or canon but its a very good spec for the price and there is a large range of lenses available to upgrade to, nothing wrong with the options at all.

Highly recommend getting to Jessops / John Lewis and trying out a few around what you can afford. I personally found the Nikon (D40 I think?) a right PITA to use, and the Canon (450D) really easy.

This is the best bit of advice. Try them and see how you feel. My sister has a Canon and I tried using it the other day and whilst there were a few parts better than mine (much newer :() I still prefer my Nikon.

Massively comes down to personal preference because once you've made your decision, you're pretty much stuck with it as changing body and the lenses for another make gets silly expensive.

lol, you're saying that on a renault site ;)

We all took the cheaper option!

anyway, there is nothing wrong with the sony, its not got the same slr pedigree as nikon or canon but its a very good spec for the price and there is a large range of lenses available to upgrade to, nothing wrong with the options at all.

lol, but they are all roughly the same price, I know you can get a D40/60 for under £300 and like you say, Sony don't have the slr pedigree.

You mock my comparison, but you know I'm right ;)

Cupra
Massively comes down to personal preference because once you've made your decision, you're pretty much stuck with it as changing body and the lenses for another make gets silly expensive.

You say that but I am in the middle of selling all my kit. I have only lost £20 on two lenses (Canon 70-200 f4L & Sigma 30mm f1.4) with three years use out of one and nearly 2 out of the other. The only loss I am really going to take out of the whole thing is the camera body, but they depreciate regardless of which system you use.

As I am selling out, I was tempted to jump over to Nikon as a mate of mine uses a D700 and has some outstanding glass that I would love to get my hands on (NOCT 58mm f/1.2 anyone?). Its only because I am getting a bargain that I am staying with Canon, and with only two lenses left, it will always be easy to sell off and move over at some other time.

For a beginner, you just have to know whether you are going to be happy "just" taking snaps or whether you are going to get bitten by the bug and end up spending ££££'s on glass etc.

A guy at work just bought a new 500D, he wants a new lens for it and was talking to me about them and what I am selling. He does not care about L this or f1.4 that. He liked the look of my 24-105 but was shocked at how much it cost and laughed at the thought of spending that much money on some glass.

He is buying himself a 18-200 cheapo Tamron/ Tokina lens, is not fussed about having the sharpest shots in the world and just wants to be able to snap away whenever, without any hassle.

If you fit in to the "happy snapper" camp, then buy a camera/ lens package that offers the most bang for buck. If you think that you will want to progress through glass and bodies, then you are better off buying into Canon or Nikon.

It is also worth looking at the second hand glass/ bodies. There are some bargains to be had, and second hand glass hardly ever looses value if bought wisely.

^^ Indeed! I am going to go different on this one and recommend the offerings from Olympus if your not going to go through loads of glass.

Not everyones (or many people at all) choice though!!

Very true, Andy.

But you've bought and now selling at a good time really as the cost of equipment has shot up :(

But yeh, it depends on your viewpoint and how you'll do it. But had you said to me when I first bought mine, I'd have said about the odd few snaps and called that it. 4 lens' and another body later, with another body upgrade on the way, I'd say I've been bitten by the bug! lol..

Cupra
Prices have not changed so much over here though. The £££ took the biggest hit I think.

Lenses in the UK are more expensive than over here, even though everything else is cheaper with the €. Annoying!!!

This section of the forum is shocking for passing the bug on too! I remember coming on here to ask whether it was a wise decission to buy a 350D... 20 minutes later I was on my way to the shop. It has been a very slippery slope ever since and I am lucky I have an understanding wife!

Whats the next body?

D90 next for me.

I really like the look of the D5000 with the big screen that swivels etc, but it has no auto-focus in the body and I love my 50mm! lol.. So its a no no. Plus I like the 2 screens on the D90.

JJ, you've had more changes than I've had hot dinners!

D90 next for me.

I really like the look of the D5000 with the big screen that swivels etc, but it has no auto-focus in the body and I love my 50mm! lol.. So its a no no. Plus I like the 2 screens on the D90.

JJ, you've had more changes than I've had hot dinners!

Indeed! But not all by choice lol! I am a happy snapper now though lolz

I sold my D40 as I just wasn't using it. Sold all my kit.. Bag/remote/tripod etc.

Then decided I wanted another SLR for a holiday and bought the D50 I have now from Chris. So glad I did.

The upgrade/lens/money spending bug is expensive though and once it bites, you can't get away :(

Nimbus Grey 197
i've just bought the a200 as my first camera, have read plenty of reviews on good glass for them too, cant wait for it to arrive.

As most have said its purely down to how you feel with it and personal preference!

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
decided on an a350 in the end, really pleased with it!