ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound bar for tv?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I have a 32 inch Samsung LCD. Prob 4 years old or so. Maybe 3.

I don't have space for a surround sound system but thought I could get a sound bar thing instead? Just bit fed up of using just the tv's on board speakers.

Anyone give advice on if it is worth it etc and how they connect to the tv?

SQ5
Your Samsung should have a digital optical out to send audio from the TV out at a fixed level.

It depends how much you've got to spend Seb? For a decent one your looking at spending a bit, cheap ones aren't great.

SQ5
The Pana is £220 which isn't silly when you look at how much a normal surround system would cost.

Unsure on the Sharp though, have you read some reviews online?

I spent quite a while researching this because I've got a 32" tv in the small lounge with a 5.1 surround sound system but in the main lounge I've got a 46" sony bravia 3d LED jobby and the room is quite minimalistic. I use some turtle beach headphones for xbox'ing so I just wanted a decent sound bar for watching films with friends/family

http://www.richersounds.com/product/soundbars/yamaha/yas101/yama-yas101

The yamaha yas101 consistently got the best reviews on every site I looked at - and it's currently on sale at richersounds.
I'm off to pick one up next month

SQ5
Yamahas are great, they basically invented this technology!

Check out the Loewe ones too if you want to see some sound bar p**n, they're epic too!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
how do you not have room for surround sound?

fit the 4 small speakers to the top corners of the room and have the sub by the tv?

but, theres some decent sound bars about i've seen. im sure there are some decent priced ones too. ill have a look and link

MK4 Anni & MK5 Edt30
Have you not got enough room for a decent 2.1 setup instead? Much better than sound bars, imo.

Listerine & Poledo
For the money, a set of separates would be superior, but it depends if you have the space / want them.

I'm somewhat biased though, the B&O soundbar & surround standees at Boardwalk are incredible and make everything else sound like it's a chavs blackberry. :(

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
anyone got any recommendation for a sound bar and DVD player to connect to our current lounge TV. We have had a Sony DVD surround sound system which is hardly used. The room has just been redecorated and I've just pulled up the surround sound wiring before the new carpet goes down.

Just need a decent sound and the option to play DVD (wife and daughters requirements), blue ray not needed.

Not sure on budget...

Just to add, we already have a Sonos Play 1 in the kitchen and I've heard these can be linked so is it worth sticking to another Sonos?

Last edited:
  SQ5
anyone got any recommendation for a sound bar and DVD player to connect to our current lounge TV. We have had a Sony DVD surround sound system which is hardly used. The room has just been redecorated and I've just pulled up the surround sound wiring before the new carpet goes down.

Just need a decent sound and the option to play DVD (wife and daughters requirements), blue ray not needed.

Not sure on budget...

Just to add, we already have a Sonos Play 1 in the kitchen and I've heard these can be linked so is it worth sticking to another Sonos?

Playbar is £600 though and it doesn't do surround sound unless you add 2 Play:1s at £169 each!

Nothing beats a proper surround sound system

330i. E30 Touring.
Playbar is £600 though and it doesn't do surround sound unless you add 2 Play:1s at £169 each!

Nothing beats a proper surround sound system

I have a Play 5, and a Play 1 already. Reckon the sub and a soundbar is money well spent? Or could i get something different/better quality for the money?

I'd quite like to be able to link all of them if i have a party etc...

SQ5
I have a Play 5, and a Play 1 already. Reckon the sub and a soundbar is money well spent? Or could i get something different/better quality for the money?

I'd quite like to be able to link all of them if i have a party etc...

Buy what Goodj has linked, spending £1200 on a 2.1 system can get you a great 5.1 system.

Then buy a Sonos Connect and plug it into your amp.

330i. E30 Touring.
Buy what Goodj has linked, spending £1200 on a 2.1 system can get you a great 5.1 system.

Then buy a Sonos Connect and plug it into your amp.
If i do that, it'll all link up and play via the Sonos app? If so, perfect!

Listerine & Poledo
If i do that, it'll all link up and play via the Sonos app? If so, perfect!
Use a Sonos Bridge to hook it into the AV amp.

EDIT: Sorry ,yes, the connect box, with no amp
THIS

I do like a sonos, they have their place, the quality is good enough for most. But if I was choosing a front-room AV set-up, it'd have a real amp, proper speakers and wires.

330i. E30 Touring.
Use a Sonos Bridge to hook it into the AV amp.

EDIT: Sorry ,yes, the connect box, with no amp
THIS

Meh, if that's £300 almost, i might as well spend the £1200 to keep it all simple and matching, and keep the house less cluttered.

Cheers though.

330i. E30 Touring.
CS Logic in action once again.
£900 to take up more space, but better quality kit, although not matched to everything else.
£1200 to have slightly less quality, but better aesthetics, less space taken up, plus point is it all links to existing easily.

£300 well spent IMO.

BG Clio 182
I've got a Bose cinimate. I appreciate it's not surround sound but the quality and depth it adds is incredible.