ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sound Proofing

Been sound proofing my car the last couple of days. Goin really well.

Im using flashing tape from B+Q, so far spent 30 quid and done 3 layers in the whole of the boot, 2 layers under rear seats and 4 layers in passenger door! The pic shows passenger door, i put 1 layer inside 2 on top then 1 layer on inside of door card.

The sound is one hell of a lot clearer and iv saved a bit of money i think.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/file.php?image=1054230272__DSCF0082.jpg

Next is the rear bits, not quite sure how they come out though? Can any one help? cheers

maff ive heard good comments bout flashing tape. Whats it like compared to original car soundproof?

Did u manage to remove airbag seats when covering floorpan?

I havent done the floorplan yet, im still on the sides.

As for comparison, i am not sure because i havent had any other sound proofing before. All i can say is the improvement in bass especially is a lot better. I still have original speakers and they are sounding good, but i will be replacing them soon.

Also its cool when you close the door, it sounds really nice and solid.

There are a couple of types but they are both pretty much the same. The most common is Aquaseal which is sold in B&Q and Focus etc. You get loads in a reel for between £10 and £20. It basically does the same job as proper sound deadening but isnt as thick so you need to put more layers on...but it still works out much cheaper.

We used about £300 worth of the stuff in the demo car but it still rattles like mad. Then again i think with all that bass there would be next to no chance of getting rid of all the rattles...should be interesting to see what happens when the new Kicker 15L7 subs go in tomorrow and the amp power is upped to 5kw ready for the Modified Nationals.

Russ

Builders use it. Its like a waterproofing tape, made of asphalt i think. Its a couple mm thick and self adeasive backing. comes in a few sizes i got 15cm wide by 10m long for £5.99.

Cor, £300 worth!! bloody hell, its taken me a while just putting what i have got in, and thats like ten times less!!, bet that took ages to put in!

It only took about 2 days to get it all in after the interior was out. We had a whole room full of the stuff at one point as we picked it up cheap from a building suppliers that was going under...bonus!!!

Russ

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Ive my boot done in Brown bread but still have to do the sides of it as i used two rolls on the bottom alone

I also picked up some dynamat extreme for my doors for when im fitting the new kicker resolution components and building their fibreglass enclosures.

Hopefully itll sound good but i might get some of that flashing tape for the sides of the boot but the dynamat extreme i can get for £20 and id say 2 rolls should finish the job right inthe boot

I done my passenger door as you can see, but i disconnected the passenger airbag switch while doing it! now the service light and the airbag light are on! bugger!!! anyone know how i can reset it, iv got it booked in at the dealer, but it will be better if i can do it cos they will prob moan about my sound proofing and void the warranty! oops!

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Would disconnecting the negative wire from battery for a half hour not reset it automatically?

So do you just stick the tape over the metalwork? where do you stick it in the boot when you do it, on the sides and on the base under the carpet?? wot about the rest of the car, do you just cover all the metal under carpet/pannels or what?

yeah that is what i did, covered all metal in the boot under the carpet. the doors i stuck it on the metal, stuck it all over the inside of the door too, i also stuck it all over the back of the door card just to make sure i dont get any rattles/ vibrations. I used duct tape to stick down some suspect cables to make sure they wouldnt rattle either. The boot ill do the same as the doors.

well yesterday i wiggled the wires under the drivers seat to see if it was that causing my service and airbag lights to come on, it did nothing! but today i get in the car and the lights are off, all back to normal. Wierd!

so if i remove the door skin, it will turn the airbag light on, or can you get away without disconecting the switch, doesnt the haynes tell you??

Thanks

you can only get the door skin about 4 inches away from the door if you dont disconnect it, bit of a pain. I havent got a haynes manual yet, but think i should get one. i think the problem was infact to do with the wires under the drivers seat and not to do with removing the switch from the door skin. aparently the wires under the drivers seat are notoriously f**kin up! when i took off the door skin and disconnected the switch, i made sure i didnt start or switch ignition on until it was all back together.

Oh ok, were the door skins eay to get off?? Is there a tutorial on the net ne where?? I looked for a haynes and i couldnt find a mk3 clio one, on the one before (non-facelift (is that mk2?))?

Cheers Mate

Rorrie

four screws at the bottow of door, you need to unscrew the handle too and release the cable. i pulled the door skin off from the bottom is it hooks on to the door at the top. It came off really easy. I normaly look at the year on the haynes manuals, mk3 i reckon should say 2001 onwards, you know you got the right one then. i havent even looked for one yet though.

Yer i know but halfords claim they dont make one for 2001 onwards only upto 2001???

Ps - what size speakers are going in your doors mate??

Will be 6.5", not sure what make yet though, just depends on how much money i have when i come to buy them!