ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

South Wales General Chat

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
yea I know the feeling of job not being done properly after spending a wedge of dough! but its the beauty of forums deffo this one people are forthcoming with help unlike a lot of forums ive been on, so I think ill be looking into btm aswell then I think well im going down the itb route 100% an have cams already, I don't really wanna turbo her to be honest but want to try an get what power I can from her, so after cams & itbs what else could I do to her that's not going to cost the earth an not turbo lol
To be honest mate... if you're after decent power to go hunting down Scoobies then ITB's and cams probably aren't quite going to cut it. You'd probably need to spend around 7 grand and more to get a high-comp and forged engine (with ITB's and cams) that will give you the power to make a real difference. It would actually be cheaper to get your car turbo'd AND you'd end up with more power. I went down the NA route because I love NA engines and NA characteristics, not because I was after big power.

Also, if you're thinking of ITB's or forced induction, you really need a decent aftermarket ECU so you'll need to factor that in the price and also a limited slip diff, otherwise you won't get the power down very well. It gets very expensive very quickly.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Here you go jay this is my purchase :)
3B8B32CB-A9C9-43C8-876B-488DEAA6DBBD-1729-000003F37270D212.jpg

Anybody had one of these before? What they like to fit? Not sure yet as to if i'm going down the route of standalone managment or use my existing ecu but remove/bypass the immobiliser (if i'm able to) as i've been premature and cut the unwanted wires from my dash loom, but up on doing so the other day i realised i cut the barrel key transponder connection out also (bloody thought it was for stereo controls :banghead:)

172 phase 1 & 2
Wow! Is that ur new clocks?? Looks like my sat nav lmfao!! How's the stealth fighter coming on now anyway? Apart from chopping the wrong wires lol

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Yeah that's the clocks I'll be rocking with :), car's coming slowly dude have fitted the uprated master cylinder and done all new brake pipes so no abs now also fitted a lever type bias valve.

Finally after 2 weeks of hunting i've managed to get new steering rack boots for the EPS (3 different types). And yeah was a pain in the arse once i've found the transponder so not all bad as if i'm not able to bypass the immobiliser then my other cheap option is to buy a loom and chop that to s**t but leave the "important" bit on this time lol.

O

Oakley12

Basically oakley your going to be spending cash one way or another lol

Basically yes haha. I hope this gearbox fault is fixed with a simple oil change :(.

I literally have to take 5 seconds to change into 3rd haha.

172 phase 1 & 2
To be honest mate... if you're after decent power to go hunting down Scoobies then ITB's and cams probably aren't quite going to cut it. You'd probably need to spend around 7 grand and more to get a high-comp and forged engine (with ITB's and cams) that will give you the power to make a real difference. It would actually be cheaper to get your car turbo'd AND you'd end up with more power. I went down the NA route because I love NA engines and NA characteristics, not because I was after big power.

Also, if you're thinking of ITB's or forced induction, you really need a decent aftermarket ECU so you'll need to factor that in the price and also a limited slip diff, otherwise you won't get the power down very well. It gets very expensive very quickly.

awwww lol!! well ill be getting my itbs for sure, c how I get on that if im still foaming at the mouth for more power then I guess ill go supercharger o r somet? an the itb kits come with the omex 600 ecu im sure! been thinking on the slip diff too! yea im been at the expensive very quickly when I first onwnd my ph1 it died within a week bpoght a ph2 while I sourced an engine for the oh1 I had all sort of problems with her she fine now tho after hours n hours work by my m8 & his bro o and a good few grand being spent an not extra donkey under the bonnet to show for it lol

172 phase 1 & 2
Yeah that's the clocks I'll be rocking with :), car's coming slowly dude have fitted the uprated master cylinder and done all new brake pipes so no abs now also fitted a lever type bias valve.

Finally after 2 weeks of hunting i've managed to get new steering rack boots for the EPS (3 different types). And yeah was a pain in the arse once i've found the transponder so not all bad as if i'm not able to bypass the immobiliser then my other cheap option is to buy a loom and chop that to s**t but leave the "important" bit on this time lol.

could I get one of those cyclinders for mine then? every little bit of braking helps pmsl!!!! what about fat boys loom? on the black one? he breaking it aint he?

O

Oakley12

I've downloaded tapatalk, and I just can't get used to it :(. Does anyone else use it?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Jay problem you'll have is the master cylinder i've replaced mine with is a 4 port m10 fixing, your car is still running abs so it only has 2ports using m12 fixing so for you to upgrade your master cylinder you'll need to find a 2port m12 with a bigger bore than 22mm and not to forget it has to fit onto the servo so bolt holes has to be the same too.

As for the black 172 that's over the garage and taking the loom out of that i'm not sure what he's doing with it to be honest i know his plans was to buy a cheap 172 and take the engine out for his, but he's already striped the suspension and sold that and also rear bumper to me so really not sure what's he's planning now.

This question is to everyone that could help does anybody know if there is any management that could replace the ecu and uch as the problem i have is i want to keep the track car to a min but still able to use it on the road so still need lights,ind and so on.
I've removed the std fuel pump and tank and going to fit a after market alloy tank running a facet red top as a lift pump into the 1.5ltr swirl pot and then a bosch 044 as the feed pump, i've also removed the abs pump,air-con,pas and running a EPS instead so obviously all of this would have to be wired up anyway.

What i don't want to do is run a managment along side the standard ecu and uch as it's just adding weight that i don't want.

​Any advise would be appreciated

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Do you know the work a track man actually does?

Hard labourious work normally throughout the night working to targets for ok ish money. Much better jobs on the railway available.

ohh and getting in is the hardest bit so I wouldn't get my hopes up to just walking into a job. Not trying to sound nasty, apologies if it does but I'm just trying to advise accordingly :)

have you even looked btw? Just found 3 jobs based in Swansea after searching for 2 mins.

heres one... http://jcp.jobhits.co.uk/Pts-Trackmen-id-1460741

Last edited:
  M3, Cup racer'd 182
Did look into the rail work jobs sometime ago and phoned up greenlight but got fobbed off because i wasn't already on the dole, so just out of curiosity what kind a job does a small tool's man do?
Say if i did pay to do my pts course and small tools what kind of rate would i be getting?
I currently take home £379 a week (after tax) so what job title/trade is near that or even a better rate?

Last edited:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what you want to do. I'm a tradesman, done an apprenticeship and learned how to fix trains. I get £20+ per hour.
trackmen, who are there all night hammering, digging, cutting, lifting things all night and get about £12 an hour.
working on the train, trolley dolly, conductor anything. Up to about £18 an hour.
train drivers, make your own figure up for that, some drivers I know took home at least 80k last year.
Shunting, tends to be about £18 an hour too.

other than management you don't really have much more choice on the railway. PTS is given to anyone who works trackside, I was given my PTS as part of my job so didnt have to pay for it :p

The misses' sisters other half paid to do his, both ac and dc lines at a cost of about £700 when a mate of mine could have trained him for next to FA! Ridiculously expensive

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Wow didn't realise that a simple job as trolley dolly or even a conductor was on that much a hour, i'm currently a Shunter at the moment (driving class 1 hgv's) but been driving them since 18 (army days) on and off along with other jobs such as a fully qualified mechanic but there's no money in it and after working on other people's cars i don't want to work on mine lol, so getting fucked off with what i'm now doing so wanted to have a go at another trade.
Train driver earning 80k that is some serious wedge isn't it true that they get death money or something (due to jumpers).

I do like a hands on kind of job so trackside work would probably suit me best but unsure about rates to job titles as there's not a lot of info on the net last time i looked.

​Bloody hell £700 so take that the AC/DC lines course is part of a pts or its another course all together?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It's an extended part of PTS. Basically allows you to work on electrified lines too.

as for train divers they literally rule the rails! They have companies by the short and curlies. Overtime? Yeah sure. Pay rise? Yeah sure. Go home early? Yeah sure! More money for using a safety system that's been added? Yeah sure!
They don't get danger pay or death money, what they do get though is free counselling with a jumper and up to 6 months off paid etc.

if your into mechanics then what I do is ideal, paid lots, nice shift pattern, not overly stressed out.
The labor work is like I said, trackside. Lifting cutting etc.
those are your only options really.

If your trackside I imaging you get more money the more qualifications you get. Like a do would be paid more than your standard trackman, coss more money again. Closer you get to London the more you get I imagine too

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Yeah i do like the mechanic side of things but take it i'd have to be a diesel fitter not my current qualification (cars)?
And not sure where you live but i guest there's no "yard depot" around Newport so travelling would have to be considered for that.

Lol i hear that train drivers are on strike every year over wages lol, thinking about it logically now working trackside sounds good in theory but working in the bloody rain/snow/wind in the winters would probably do my head in lol so probably not the best job for me to be honest.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Not nessicarily. There's a depot in Bristol, there's a depot in Margam, canton in Cardiff, although this is closing. Not even my depot is secure ATM. At least with track work there's a bit more security.

dependant on your skill set then there's bound to be something on the railway for you.

just FYI people come from Haverfordwest, Rhondda, Cardiff just to work where I do as the money is that good.

also apart from 4 ex apprentices there are only 2 fully fledged diesel fitters working with us, the rest are electricians, fitters, car mechanics etc.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
another generic post here - anyone in swansea / Bridgend fancy helping me with an Oil and filter change? Ive not got the tools or space to give it ago and would like to have a pop with some help? :p beer money included!

Monaco 172
Wel ive just finished work, cars in paint shop so got the old birds vw eos to rock till i get my car back lol

so yer im ***** tastic :)

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Didn't have work today. Have 11 days off. Cars broke so have had to stay in, so I've pretty much slept haha

Waiting on parts, plus weather ain't helping either!

O

Oakley12

Jared, I'm good thanks for asking :).

Turner, when you get your car back text me to tell me the quality of work! And better directions to the garage lol

Craig, what's up with the car? The weather is terrible! I feel awful tired today :(

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
My mate fitted my coilovers last week and the day after I drove over a raised drain/manhole and my exhaust hit it. Checked it and its blowing from the manifold to cat joint now, the bolts have been pulled through from being knocked. Must of been on there a while, waiting on a fitting kit to be delivered then I can fix it. New bolts and gasket. Sounds like a tractor it does hahaha.

O

Oakley12

Aww never :(. Hope you get it sorted soon :).

Fcuking migraine won't go away :(

Craig_B

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182
Yeah. Should be Monday now. As it was posted Friday.

Got brakes all round to fit on it too. Paint Callipers a subtle black while they are off as they don't look best.

O

Oakley12

All good then!

I was given red calliper pair a few weeks ago, I might have a shot at doing mine tomorrow if the weathers decent enough :)

Monaco 172
Ha ive heared its good quality and its cheap my polish friend owns the garage next to it, il let you no how good he is tho, hopefully get it back monday :)

O

Oakley12

I went to go and find it the other day but couldn't find it. Is it down the lane where skate extreme used to be? Or is it the opposite side of the tracks?