ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speaker Upgrade.

D

deadonkey

Hi,

I've always been happy with the speaker setup in my mk2ph2 clio, but I think its time to upgrade, especially considering the low price of speakers compared to what ive spent on home hifi speakers.

I am after speakers that will fit right in, I believe I need 13cm diameter speakers going by past posts.

Ive also never upgraded a speaker setup like the clios before with the seperate tweeters, im happy with them for the time being but if I get a standard 2 or 3 way speaker will there be too much treble since in effect I will have two sets of tweeters and only one set of mid and low range speakers.

I have also looked at a subwoofer since its the bass that I am looking to improve, Im not into pounding music. and so I looked at the SONY AW-200, this is a smaller far lower powered active subwoofer (built in amp)any views on this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-Xplod-xs...ryZ18805QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I find when listening to indie or rock music on the volume I want in my current setup, the system can handle fine the treble and mids, vocals and guitars, but as soon as the drums start the sound distorts.

My headunit is a SONY CDX-GT616U, the one with the USB on the front.

What are your recommendations for upgrading my system, is that sony sub any good, does it matter what speakers I get aslong as they are from a decent manufacturer?

any help is welcome.....

D

deadonkey

Hi,

Im not limited to sony, Ive just had good experiences with them, ive had the MP30 then MP40 and now this, They have all been good Headunits.
Ive got a few hundred quid to spend. I dont mind spending a bit more. I have no idea what co axials or components are.

I wasnt going to amp the speakers in the doors just run with the original wiring. mainly because I dont fancy running cables.

i have infinity on all of mine, tweeters and 4 sets of 13cms. running off my alpine 9855r. sound is really very good.

jamie

with sony speakers etc you pay for the name not the quality when it comes to audio
co-axials are where the tweeters is mounted directly in the center of speaker
components have separate tweeter and a crossover
even running components isnt such a big fuss,can remove old tweeter grills and just mount them in the grill itself.
phoenix golds are some of the best for the money at 100quid
i bought some infinity 5010 components for 45 quid brand new which are good quality.
as for subs and amps look at the jl,re audio as a good starting point for that kind of money,dont be put off by they're rms figures as they give a lot more than rated
hope thats a good starter for you

D

deadonkey

Its a pitty Linn dont make in car stuff. Their Hifi's are amazing

D

deadonkey

So with componants I can still run them without an amp, just use the original wiring?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
However, if you want coaxials you can do and leave the standard tweaters in, it will provide you with plenty enough treble for a non-amped system. The sony box you've got up there sounds ok, just dont expect big volume from it. If you were looking at spending a few hundred then pheonix gold is very good stuff, I have it in my car and wouldn't want much more unless I was competing.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Components in the rear isn't going to benefit you much, keep coaxils in there if you are bothered about the rear. They will only provide rear fill, the front end should do most of the "work" in producing better sound in an ideal setup.

Those speakers aren't bad at all, you could pick up a set of Focal or maybe even Diamond comps for the same money too :)

IMHO and from friends experiences - stay clear of
Sony
Vibe
JVC
Kenwood
Fusion
Panasonic
Fli
- brands where you pay for a name (as said above)

do you have your front components amped combine?

i do now chris mate yeah, still need to set it up proper though, had a s**t deal with halfrauds so got some random new mutant amp instead of my sony one so getting use to what it can do settings wise.

jamie

Clio 1.4
Yay i am not on the stay away from list :D

What HU should i get Tigger cant decide see one i like then im like o o o i like that one

Think the saying is " like a kid in a candy store "

"Navy" N17 TWO
A lot of people are attracted to HU's by their looks & flashy lights - I know I used to be :eek:

Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion & Becker are common favourites :)

VX220 Turbo
always been a rockford fosgate speaker fan and alpine headunit. never buy a headunit because it looks good because thet's all it'll be, at the end of the day you buy a stereo to sound good don't you?

also never look at amps max power figure as this is all a load of crap brands like splx, vibe etc use these figures to make the big hollow amps sound powerfull when they're not. the figure to look out for is RMS. when choosing subs and amps make sure the power your sub is rated at rms and ohms match the power of your amp (especially the ohms bit) otherwise you could damage one or both items.