ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speakers Baffles and Sound Deadening??

PH1 172 Sport
Hi I'm a bit of an amatuer when it comes to car audio. So ive got a few questions that wern't answered when I did a search!

What are speaker baffles for and what do the look like?

I know from a search that sound deadening the whole door is what allot of people do but is it worth just doing the area around the speaker as i'm concerned with adding too much weight to the car.

Also as I have components in the front is it worth modifying the 13cm speaker location do that the speaker is fully boxed in from all sides and the back but obviously not the front for an improved sound?

Thanks

1.2 Clio
Fully boxing in your mid bass speakers will make them sound pap.
They are typically designed to work in 2 cu ft of air ( that of the door )
And MDF baffle is a piece of mdf attached directly to the METAL of the door (means cutting away the existing plastic) to provide a tighter fit, ensuring better mid bass response.
Deadening can be beneficail aroudn this baffle. However it's nothing compared to doing the entire doors. I persoanlly wouldn't bother with deadening unless doing al the doors.
A good solid MDF (or equiv) baffle if a good step, it also can allow a larger size mid in place ( upto 6.5) (thats what i have in)
SN200246.jpg

PH1 172 Sport
Thanks for the reply and picture its very helpful. I'll have to look into doing some baffles then. Do they make a huge difference?

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
I am hoping to do dome baffles how would i go about cutting them into a perfect circle

Ph1 172 + Combo van
you can buy them off ebay or a shop pre made but could be pretty expensive. i just made a template of my speakers and cut them out with a jig say and cleaned up any edges with a bit of sand paper. they obviously have some tiny wobbles here and there but it doesnt effect them attall they still work great.

baffles010.jpg

i was only fitting 13cm components and didnt really want to cut away the plastic of the doorcard so i siliconed them to the plastic and put 8 selftapping screws through the baffle and through into the metal inner skin of the door. countersunk them too so they fit in there snug and the speaker can go in too perfectly.

defineately make a difference so id reccomend doing it.

i also have some draught excluder on the rim too. not sure if it makes much of a difference i just wanted a good seal onto the baffle and would prevent any hissing sounds if there wasn't an airtight seal.