ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speed Lights

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'm toying with the idea of buying a speed light - maybe SB-400. Are they worth it? considering i'll be doing a lot of portraits style indoors?

Tappd'd RS
I've *borrowed* my Dad's SB-600 - had it for about six months now.

I wouldn't be without it TBH.

Never had any experience with the 400 though I'm affraid.

D

dick

if thats a nikon i presume?

ive got a canon 580exII, transformed my photography when i got it, steep learning curve to it though and takes some practicing!

couldnt be witohut it now! fill flash makes such a difference outdoors! make sure you pick up set of gels so you can match the flash colour to tungsten light though

i keep meaning to do some shots with it on strobe and like a few second exposure,
to get this effect

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/whats...ns/wpy/photo.do?photo=2285&category=3&group=1

Last edited by a moderator:
430EX user here, it makes a massive difference.

I was just about to slate the SB-400 big time but turns out you can bounce it upwards, be it rather restrictively, it actually looks rather compact and looks like a real good idea now but if you want more control, better bouncing etc and can handle the extra weight then get a proper flash gun like the 600 upwards.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i wouldnt even go for a 600 lol i got 3 sb800's didnt even bother looking at the others in the range... i wanna get a ring flash...

1.2 Dynamique billabong
yes i would definately recommend a speedlight, the standard pop up flash isnt very good tbh. have a look at metz flash guns as an alternative, , they are powerfull and are pretty easy to use. this is the one i have the metz 45 cl-4. i also have a canon 540ex which is pretty good and might be easier for beginners as its all automated.

metz_45_cl-4_digital.jpg