ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo Not Working.. well sometimes..?!?!

Looking for a Mk1 Clio?
Hi guys,

I'm posting on behalf of my girlfried.

She has a mk2 Phase 1, 3 dr 1.4 clio.
For awhile now she has been having problems with her speedometer. It goes through phases of not working.

Let me explain abit: She will get in the car, and sometimes the speedo decides not to work at all when the car is in motion. Everything else works.. i.e the rev counter and all lights on the dash! But i did notice what i do believe is the ECU light that comes on after awhile of it being off. (I'll take a picture next time).

Another Scenario of it is this; She will be driving along and her speedo working fine, but then suddenly it will drop to the bottom and stop working. It's either one or the other. It doesnt always stay on! If it does then she and I are grateful.

I suspected a loose wire somewhere, but after seeing what i think is the ECU light on, i suspect something else! But i dont know what.

All help is greatful, as i will have a look for a loose wire but would like abit mroe help before hand.

I'll try explain abit more if i havent done so a good job of it :)

Clio
Yep I’ve had this too. Twice. The two fixes were
1: New Speedo pickup. (Long black plastic sensor located on the back of the gearbox, bulkhead side, above the diff)
2: After re-moving the box to replace the clutch release bearing the Speedo wouldn’t work, turned out to be one of the wire terminals in the speed pickup plug had pushed out of position breaking the contact. This I couldn’t tell until I shone a torch into the plug. Had to pull the rubber seal away from the top of the plug then push the terminal back into place and refit the rubber seal.