ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Speedo stops working intermittently

Geewhite32

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172 2002
Hi all, I am having issues with my speedo.

Sometimes it doesnt work or other times it works then stops working...only for a short time though. but occasionally while just driving about.

It also.... when it stops working seems to increase the power and response from the engine and the throttle.

As well as that, if it isnt working on start up, when it does work, the central locking clicks on, locking the doors ( I have it set up to lock on moving)

Can anyone explain as to why this is please?

Hope you can help.

Gee.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I'm having similar issues with my Cup.

It was raining very heavy the other day and the speedo just dropped to 0 mph when I was doing about 30mph and then 30 seconds later is went back to normal.

I was wondering if the rain had some effect on it as it was raining heavy at the time.

I've read it could be the wiring to the speed sensor on the gearbox or the sensor itself. Renault part no: 7700418919.

Your central locking is linked to a set mph, but if your speedo isn't working then thats also causing the auto door locks / central locking issue.

Use the link below to check the dials / instrument.

Last edited:

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be your gearbox speed sensor, I had the exact same thing with my Phase 1. When the sensor stops reading and you lose the speedo, the ecu makes the car run slightly richer, that'll be why you're feeling it pick up a bit when the speedo doesn't work.

They're fairly cheap to buy ( https://renaultpartsdirect.co.uk/parts/transmission-parts/renault-speedo-sensor-7700418919/ ) and not too much of a pain to change, it just requires a fair bit of reaching down the back of the gearbox.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Just one thing....is this what the lambda sensor from the cat plugs into?

The gearbox speedo sensor is a different sensor and plugs into the top of the gearbox.

You've got 2 Lambda sensors that plug into the exhaust - one before the cat (pre-cat) and one after the cat (post-cat)

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I had the same issues, new sensor on gearbox and its been fine since, remove wire, pull out in push other one in, takes no time, you could check power at the connection first, that's what I did and all was good

Geewhite32

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Cup 172 2002
My mechanic friend was clearing codes for the ECU light. He fitted it while I was there.
Very tight, original one was still in.
He used a socket to loosen it first, it's not screwed in, just to help loosen it.
Might save a bit of arm tugging.
Gee.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Thanks for the tip, mine is the original one as well.
It must just be that time (around 20yrs) where a lot of original parts are starting to fail.