ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sports cat, decat, standard?

Audi Q7, Avalanche
just wondering what people thought of the decat fora mrk2 172 cup? ive looked into the sports cat and im pretty tempted by it although it is pretty pricey for what it is, especially when its something that will eventually need to be replaced. Whats the craic with decats for the mark 2? ive heard lots of websites claiming that they have one that doesnt bring the engine warning light on, but to be honest most people on here tell me something different? is it a good thing reducing the back pressure of the engine so much by fitting a decat? i know on some BMW's fitting a decat is a no no as it actually harms performance! is this true about the cup? or is it not worth doing either and just remaining standard? i have a 52 172 cup with 26,000 miles, it will be having the Benr manifold work, remap, it already has a stealth k-tec exhaust and an ITG panel filter and so was wondering which way to go with the cat, decat, sports cat, standard? opinions?

Polo + Micra
i'm not sure that sports cats need replacing as they are made of s/steel with a s/steel subtrate

this is where my sports cat came from

Last edited:
J

JEFF4507

Indeed, most places also offer lifetime warranties on their sports cats.

Get one, you're lucky enough for them to fit easily on a Mk2 RS !!

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
3rd post on this subject in as many days,lol.
Decat everytime over a sports cat for me especially with those mods you've listed...it will free up the revs nicely and be a little bit more raspier.(is that a word,lol)
John

J

JEFF4507

This will be my 3rd identical post then.

Don't get a straight through just because you read it on the internet. They're designed for track/racing use and nothing else. They are illegal to use on the road, meaning insurance is invalidated, end of.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
JEFF4507 said:
This will be my 3rd identical post then.

Don't get a straight through just because you read it on the internet. They're designed for track/racing use and nothing else. They are illegal to use on the road, meaning insurance is invalidated, end of.

I beg to differ...my insurance isn't invalidated and i have my decat declared.