ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spray paint

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i have a hologram grey clio and am goin to diy the bump strips, halfords dont do my colour! which is so annoying, any suggestions where to get it, renault do but for 13 a can

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Go to a local motor factor shop or bodyshop supply place . They'll knock you up a can if you give them the colour code for your car . The one i used charged £8.00 for a can .

If you don't know where the nearest one is do a search for your town on www.yell.com

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
just go to halfords u gay! ask them to mix you it up. say its called hologram gray and its off a clio. or just get a paint code. they'll make it up thewn and there for u...i work there unfortunatly!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Good price that . Normal spray cans have sh*te nozzles , i bet the ones from autopaint are alot better if they are anything like the ones i got from my local motor factor , they spray more evenly and don't spit .

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Think it was NV603 taylor

Edit: you might want to double check that though, don't want you ordering the wrong one through me being wrong!

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue Mk2
taylor said:
cool can u remember the colour code as im too lazy to get up and look!

Yes, get it from auto paint, very good.
Paint code is inside the drivers door on VIN plate, generaly starts with 2 letters e.g. NV followed by 3 numbers.

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
Good stuff! I'll be doing my door handles as soon as the paint arrives, then might try and do my bump strips as well.

Good luck with yours taylor

Monaco Blue Mk2
^ deffinatley, most important bit, sidestrips are harder than the handles from my experience. You have to get a perfect finish when sanding the plastic back first, I sanded mine back down twice and started again. Once after putting primer and paint on and then again after putting primer on, If you don't get the plastic 100% smooth before spraying it shows up twice as bad when sprayed.

Mk 2 Ph 2 1.2 16v
^ So should I use 120, 240, 600, 800 grit wet and dry paper to get the plastic as smooth as possible? Then inbetween coats of primer use maybe 1200 grit wet and dry to smooth it even further?

And will I need to sand it inbetween coats of paint/ laquer at all?

Cheers, Adam

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ I'd just use some 600 grit on the plastic , not too smooth , then plastic primer , couple of coats , 1200 grit on the primer . 3 coats of top coat or until your happy with the finish , if you get a good finish you shouldn't really need to sand the top coat . Then 3 coats of lacquer thinly applied as lacquer tends to run if you put too much on , sand inbetween coats of lacquer if the finish isn't that smooth with 2000 grit

Make sure the surface is very clean , no dust etc inbetween coats , use a tac cloth .

Monaco Blue Mk2
What Billy said really although I'd start with 80 on the plastic to get rid of the 'bobbles' quicker, then go up the range like you suggested. You do need to get them smooth as poss. You need about 4 coats of primer otherwise it comes of when you wet sand with 1200, I then did about 4-5 coats of paint and similar with the laquer, after the laquer however I 1200 wet sanded to smooth the finish off perfect and then brought them back up with Meguires scratch x.