ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sprint Booster

Black Gold with cup packs
I'm not sure mate Get some advice, and do some research though. Alot of these mods are s**t But as I said I am not sure about this one. Never really heard of it.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Ive done a few google searches and come up with loads of links on US and far east forums and they all rave about it.
And there is a vw tuner that is advertising them.
Just makes it an easier decision if someone has already tried it on a clio

http://www.amb-tuning.de/produkte/sprint-booster/unbekannt/renault/clio.html

Read elsewhere in the forum and you'll hear people saying how much better the throttle response was before Renault changed to an electronic throttle, and they advise you fit a cable throttle. Trouble is that prevents the ESP from working. Well, the Sprint Booster doesn't give you any more power, but it gives you better throttle response from the electronic throttle by measuring how hard you're pressing the throttle and anticipating what you want.

Last edited:

Read elsewhere in the forum and you'll hear people saying how much better the throttle response was before Renault changed to an electronic throttle, and they advise you fit a cable throttle. Trouble is that prevents the ESP from working. Well, the Sprint Booster doesn't give you any more power, but it gives you better throttle response from the electronic throttle by measuring how hard you're pressing the throttle and anticipating what you want.

Hi- Not really too bothered about the ESP- but the throttle response will no doubt be an issue....

Does the 182 have a fly by wire throttle- if so is it possible to retro fit a throttle cable??

How is it done?

Jake

Yeah the 182 has an electronic throttle, and yes it can have a cable throttle fitted if needs be for ITBs. I don't think the standard throttle can have a cable fitted though.

Clio 172 mk2

Hi- Not really too bothered about the ESP- but the throttle response will no doubt be an issue....

Does the 182 have a fly by wire throttle- if so is it possible to retro fit a throttle cable??

How is it done?

Jake

I believe there are kits available from tuning companies like Yozzasport to convert the fly by wire to cable

Trophy #267
an interesting idea. I assume the standard setup have the lever with some gearing attached to a pot (either linear or log) which moves according to the pedal which the ecu uses (with some degree of latency).
From that description the new one is able to tell how hard you plany your size 11 and if booting it would add (or remove) extra resistance but again not sure how much latency is involved. im deffo sure it would drive differently but possibly a placebo effect as to whether it was 'better'
as for converting fbw to cable id only consider it as a track enhancement as yod lose traction control which im very sure my insurance company would love. i'd assume this diff pedal / assy wouldnt remove traction for those with it as would still be using voltage/current values via the ecu.

be interesting to read ppl's reviews of it tho - thoughts fred ?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
The phase 1 does. Phase 2 onwards is electronic.

As I dont even have my car yet- is it not possible to take the throttle body of the 172 and fit it to the 182.

Then do the same with the accelerator pedal and add a throttle cable?
You need to re-drill the plenum to fit the phase 1 throttle body. I think the conversion is quite costly for little gain.

I really can't see how a sprint booster would work. Surely the signal gets to its' destination as quickly as it can so nothing can be sped up on that front. If the device pre-empts your inputs, then it could potentially whack the throttle wide open the split second you need to perform an emergency stop.

As I dont even have my car yet- is it not possible to take the throttle body of the 172 and fit it to the 182.

Then do the same with the accelerator pedal and add a throttle cable?
You need to re-drill the plenum to fit the phase 1 throttle body. I think the conversion is quite costly for little gain.

I really can't see how a sprint booster would work. Surely the signal gets to its' destination as quickly as it can so nothing can be sped up on that front. If the device pre-empts your inputs, then it could potentially whack the throttle wide open the split second you need to perform an emergency stop.

The signal doesnt get there as fast as it can, thats why there is a delay in the response when you press the throttle.
And I dont think the booster can pre-empt what you are doing, that would be deadly.

Is there any information on the unit?

I assume the accellerator pedal position is an input into the ECU. The ECU monitors position and rate of change and then sends a signal to the throttle body to drive it? (I dont know if this is the case but it makes sense).

Maybe for economy or just to make the car easier to drive the pedal position inputs are smoothed out by the ECU. I cant quite work out how the aftermarket unit works though. Unless it overides the part of the program in the ECU that drives the throttle body output.

I have a 182 with cable throttle conversion and it is very very sensitive in comparison to the FBW system. You have to concentrate much more to drive the car smoothly but with the obvious benefit of the extra throttle response and control.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Not sure. I don't fancy laying down my hard earned until I find out how they actually work and have a couple of reviews.

Mr2 Roadster
Drove a Golf GTi with one today, cost £200.

They do work, they don't pre-emp the pedal movement.

They allow the ecu to see the pedal movement exactly and without the damping that is inbuilt into the standard pedal to wire coversion ifo if that makes sense.

In my opinion it was too sensitive and made the car too jerky.

Mr2 Roadster
tell me more nick! you mean they just send you all the fitments?

To be honest I wasn't paying attention as it's not my car but my mate bought one a the guy who had them put one on his 330ci and swore by it, so my mate coughed up.

They really do make a difference though and you will notice it straight away.

This guy had a box of differnt fitments, I'll try and find out who he got them through and get back to you if I can find out.

Drove a Golf GTi with one today, cost £200.

They do work, they don't pre-emp the pedal movement.

They allow the ecu to see the pedal movement exactly and without the damping that is inbuilt into the standard pedal to wire coversion ifo if that makes sense.

In my opinion it was too sensitive and made the car too jerky.

Apparantly it takes a while to get used to driving with it fitted.

When are yozzasport going to get some in?

Clio v6
Have you not tested these before selling them Fred?

I was interested to see if they'd be any good for a v6?

Clio v6
Worried about the v6 as they all seem very sensitive until they get warmed up. Don't want even more kangarooing lol