ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeak

DC5

Hi guys,

When driving I have noticed recently that there is some kind of squeak coming from outside of the car. This doesnt happen all of the time, and only seems to happen when I am coasting along without my foot on the accelerator. I have noticed it at motorway speeds, and lower speeds. Its the same kind of squeak that your brakes might make when your pads are low.

Has anyone got any idea what might be causing this? I dont really have a clue about the mechanical side of cars, so I wouldnt know where to start looking for a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

bit of grit in the brakes? (had that on my 172, it went eventually! erk!) or the wingmirror wistling its merry tune?

Si.

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by sjtb on 16 May 2005

bit of grit in the brakes? (had that on my 172, it went eventually! erk!) or the wingmirror wistling its merry tune?

Si.
Na, its the wrong kind of sound for it to be the wing mirror whistling. A bit of grit on the brakes may be a possible reason, may have possibly got there when I was having my rear pads changed a few weeks ago.

Any other ideas?

The Beast MK4

Sounds like the CV joint to me, its got all the symtoms and its a common problem on some models of the Clio including mine. If so get it replaced sharpish.

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by Jonaldinho on 16 May 2005

Sounds like the CV joint to me, its got all the symtoms and its a common problem on some models of the Clio including mine. If so get it replaced sharpish.
CV joint?? Whats that? I assume its important as you are saying get it replaced sharpish. Would it be a warranty job if it did turn out to be that? Is it a big job?

The Beast MK4

If it is that its important to get it replaced as it can collapse. I dont know about warranty but I doubt it would cover it. My left side one went a few years back and the bill came to about £120 for the work and the part. My right side has just begun to squeak as well and I think its the same thing. Unfortunately the opposite side of your car may go in the future as well. As for a definition I cant help you matey.

Knocking on the said part is far worse though. Collapse is imminent then I think. I dnt have any mechanical knowledge in this area but get it into the garage quickly anyway just in case.

DC5

Quote: Originally posted by Jonaldinho on 16 May 2005

If it is that its important to get it replaced as it can collapse. I dont know about warranty but I doubt it would cover it. My left side one went a few years back and the bill came to about £120 for the work and the part. My right side has just begun to squeak as well and I think its the same thing. Unfortunately the opposite side of your car may go in the future as well. As for a definition I cant help you matey.
Cheers mate.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem with a mk2 172 cup, or 172 for that matter?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

i very much doubt that a "squeak"would be the cv joint, These usually click or knock under acceleration, turning etc....

DC5

Spoke to my uncle who is a mechanic, and he said the same - didnt think it would be the cv joint, as this knocks. He said it might be a stone or something in the disks, or rust on brakes. He said just to brake hard next time it happens, and hope it clears it - I just hope theres nothing behind me ;)