ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SSD/HDD Where to put files?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ok, so my current set up is a Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD, an OCZ (vertex 3 I think) SSD also 250gb , and a 2TB HDD.

I've fired a clean windows install on to the Samsung drive as that's replacing my OCZ one. All my documents and data are set to be on the HDD which is how I want it, but I'm trying to work out what to do with the OCZ drive now.

Is it worthwhile clearing the OCZ drive out, using it for all my program files, and then just keeping the Samsung SSD for my main windows files?
If so, does anyone know how's best to do that, do I need to alter the registry so windows knows where the program files are now?

I don't want to fill the Samsung drive up and slow it down (it's ridiculously quick just now), as that seemed to be what happened with the OCZ one. I also don't want to start using it, find out it's running like s**t, and wish I'd never done it lol. What's my best options here? Keep windows and program files on the Samsung drive and my docs on the HDD, or split Windows and the program files up on the different SSDs?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah I've got that just now, all my docs are on the 2TB HDD.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth splitting my program files and windows files between the 2 SSD's I have now though, or just keep it on the one SSD.

Listerine & Poledo
Probably not, to be honest.
Unless you're starting to run out of space to fit everything on one SSD?
Can't even really use the 2nd as a RAID backup either, given how SSDs dont like being written onto too many times.

You won't slow it down unless you have around 10% space left. Using the Samsung just for Windows would be a complete waste!

I'd bin off the OCZ and buy another more reputable drive tbh.

Don't see the point in splitting things up anymore, drives are cheap enough to keep it all on one without the hassle tbh.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm fine for space on the SSD. The OCZ was only ever about 70-80% full before I had a bit of a clear out, and now after my clean install I probably have about 70% free space on the Samsung!

I only got the OCZ one as it was going properly cheap when I built my PC a year or two ago. It done the job tbf, but had been gradually getting slower and slower.

Guess I'll stick with just the Samsung drive, and get another one if I start running out of space.

Yeah pretty much, as I say they tend to slow down when around 10% space left, so if you were only 70-80% full before and 70% free now, you'll be a while away from getting there :]

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Was never that clued up on how SSD's work in comparison to HDD's with regards to them slowing down, so that's good to know! I suppose if it comes to it, I can just start installing stuff on the HDD and I'm assuming so long as the drive letters never change it'll work just fine.

2014 Focus Titanium
The main thing that slows people's PCs down is the slow amalgamation of programs being installed over time and clogging the startup/registry. This is usually because:

a) The user installs programs that automatically start up when windows starts (quite often unnecessary).
b) Some programs install other programs and the user hasn't realised this (toolbars etc) which also start up with windows/internet browsers, etc.

A perfect windows installation will never slow down (well, in theory windows updates could effectively slow it down but it would be very negligible), what slows it down is the user not managing it well. The biggest indication of this is how many icons are in system tray, so often I'll be on someone else's PC and there is just endless s**t running taking resources. That's why I'm OCD about mine, my Mrs isn't even allowed to install anything on my PC without my supervision LOL.

So in answer to your question, Goodj is correct, all programs and windows install on SSD (you could make a windows partition and a programs partition if you wanted to). Sounds like your OCZ is going to be redundant but have extra fast space available is never a bad thing!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The main thing that slows people's PCs down is the slow amalgamation of programs being installed over time and clogging the startup/registry. This is usually because:

a) The user installs programs that automatically start up when windows starts (quite often unnecessary).
b) Some programs install other programs and the user hasn't realised this (toolbars etc) which also start up with windows/internet browsers, etc.

A perfect windows installation will never slow down (well, in theory windows updates could effectively slow it down but it would be very negligible), what slows it down is the user not managing it well. The biggest indication of this is how many icons are in system tray, so often I'll be on someone else's PC and there is just endless s**t running taking resources. That's why I'm OCD about mine, my Mrs isn't even allowed to install anything on my PC without my supervision LOL.

So in answer to your question, Goodj is correct, all programs and windows install on SSD (you could make a windows partition and a programs partition if you wanted to). Sounds like your OCZ is going to be redundant but have extra fast space available is never a bad thing!

I'm properly picky about startup programs and things that are running anyway lol, so I always try and keep it to a minimum, with a few exceptions. I've always watched what I install on my pc too, and tend to try and keep any HDD's defragmented, clear the registry, temp files, unwanted s**t every couple of weeks, but somehow my pc's have always slowed down over time! Most people would tell me it's not an issue when I'm running a relatively decent setup that (even when slow) is still pretty quick, but anything less than instant is too much to deal with now 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Where does the OCZ being a bad make come from?
I've had the same Vertex 2 running happily in various PCs of mine for over 5 years now.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It was the Vertex Plus R2 I was using and I've never really thought it was that bad a drive. Certainly still quicker than a high end HDD, but the general view seems to be that the likes of Samsung drives are a lot better.

Don't know what the ins and outs of it are, but they do perform better in benchmark tests I've seen online.

2014 Focus Titanium
I've never had problems with OCZ stuff, their PSUs were pretty solid, mine has been in 6 years and still going strong. From what I gather their SSDs were just fine but the company as a whole just ended up not being successful.

Where does the OCZ being a bad make come from?
I've had the same Vertex 2 running happily in various PCs of mine for over 5 years now.

You are lucky then.

You only have to do a quick google to see their SSD issues, primarily down to using Sandforce controllers, they are the highest failure rate manufacturer of SSDs! :] It may not be the case now, I don't really follow their SSD's, but it's not one I'd ever risk buying when there's much better controllers out there!

As for PSU, I have a 1250W psu I used for Bitcoin mining stuff, it seemed ok. Still have it in the Cupboard if anyone needs a high spec PSU for a build. I need to sell it.

I'd personally eBay it, doesn't sound like you need it, and if you do, then switch it out for a Samsung/Crucial/other decent brand :]

Will be switching mine over Xmas to a 1Tb Samsung Evo, so if you need a 256Gb Samsung Evo I'll have one spare most likely!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You are lucky then.

You only have to do a quick google to see their SSD issues, primarily down to using Sandforce controllers, they are the highest failure rate manufacturer of SSDs! :] It may not be the case now, I don't really follow their SSD's, but it's not one I'd ever risk buying when there's much better controllers out there!

As for PSU, I have a 1250W psu I used for Bitcoin mining stuff, it seemed ok. Still have it in the Cupboard if anyone needs a high spec PSU for a build. I need to sell it.

Fair enough. I'm sure there are plenty of people with functioning OCZs out there (like me) and also plenty of people that have had Samsungs or Intels that have died for whatever reason. That said if I was purchasing again and one product had a lot of failure reviews Id most likely go for another one... So is the life of today's consumer.

The only way to guarantee avoiding data loss is making appropriate backups. If you need the data on your PC then relying on a lower failure rate isn't the best of ideas.

Of course, but all I was saying was that the failure rate of OCZ drives is much higher than any others, due to the Sandforce controller they used :]

All manufacturers will have failures, just OCZ were top of the game by around 5x iirc :D