ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor removal

clio 182
I have a clio 182 and i think the starter motor is knackered. To get it off i think i need to (a) drop the whole exhaust system, (b) take the heat shield off to get the starter motor off...is this correct or is there an easier way? Is there a way to tell if it is the starter motor at fault without taking it off? cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Absolute pig of a job. I started but gave it to a mechanic in the end!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
im sure i might have had the drive shaft out and then i used to take it out with the cover on the back of the starter as a whole

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Manifold just needs undoing from the head and pulling back for clearance. Doesn't need taking it right off.

182 one is dead easy to disconnect at the bottom as well to allow it to move more.

Clio 182 cup
Once manifold is free and starter unbolted remove the starter by pushing manifold up, back and right, starter will come out of the gap between the starter mounting area and manifold. I messed around for ages removing the forward heat shield trying to get the starter out the bottom , I even had the starter jammed between the drive shaft and track rod at one point.
Cant wait to fit the new one.

Clio 2 ph.2 - 172
It CAN be done without removing manifold, I have just done it, you just need to remove air filter box, and if you want more room, take battery off. What I found helped a lot is to remove the earth to the gearbox and the two bolting points of the engine loom nearest to it, also disconnect the temperature sensor plug... it simply gives you more room to get the tools in. You will need a 13mm both long AND short sockets and if you can, get a 13mm ratcheting wrench and a 13mm offset wrench (you will understand why) this made my life completerly easier, since you don't have much room to rotate the tools. I also did also have myself in hand a flexible socket extension, so once the bolts are loosened up, you can easily undo them, all of them are more easily worked with this extension. It takes no more than one hour if you have the correct tools and end without a back pain. Another thing, once you have unscrewed the copper nut and the spade connector, pull that section of the loom out of the way before attempting to pull the starter out, if you do this, the starter will come out easily between the engine block and the manifold... I'll try to get some pics. Hope it helps you guys. By the way, my starter was only making a clicking noise, so, the solenoid was not sticking but no turning of the motor... it was gone, I am rebuilding it right now... search for "Bosh 110 series starter motor brushbox and rebuild" on youtube, this is the same bosh starter we have. Oh.. I totally forgot, mine is a Ph.2 172, I have no idea if you can complete this task with a 4-2-1 manifold of a 182, but I bet you can, those have a little more room, My brother has one and the gap there looks roomier.

Clio 182 cup
It can be done without dropping the manifold or removing the battery.

You need to get under the car to get full access, jack up and put both front sides on axle stands.

Disconnect battery first
1. Take off under tray
2. Take off air box
3. 13mm socket set 3/8 drive + extension bars
4. Remove 3 bolts securing starter motor (1 under car' 2 from above)
5. Heat shield unclips (use a long flat head screwdriver from under car and prise away from starter motor)
6. Undo electrical connections and carefully move out of the way being sure not to break any cables
7. Slide starter motor out and bring it out from the top of the engine - you may need to rotate it to clear components on the way out.
8. Get your new one and refit in reverse

I would say 3-4 hours for the process as its fiddly but certainly not too hard of a job.

Hope this helps

M235i / 172
Yep I agree, I did mine without removing the manifold BUT.. I couldn't get the heat shield back on once it was all bolted back up.
I ended up holding the heat shield on differently instead.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, near on impossible to put the heat shield back on unless you slide the manifold off a bit.

Clio 182 cup
Heat shield tip

Work from above and below car.

1. Small amount of Spray grease onto the heat-shield clip
2. Put starter motor in position and loosely do up the 3 bolts so the motor still has some play
3. Connect up electrical - spade connector then loosely do up main terminal but don't fully tighten down yet
4. Slide heat shield into position from side
5. Push into clip position on starter motor - you can use a long flat screwdriver to lever it on
6. Now fully tighten up main 3 starter motor bolts.
6. Use socket set to tighten the main terminal clamp making sure cable is in correct position behind shield.

Very important to refit correctly to protect cables and starter motor from manifold heat - don't leave it off or fit incorrectly or it will rattle!

Hope this helps - such a painful job to do in a very awkward position!

Good luck

M235i / 172
Heat shield tip

Work from above and below car.

1. Small amount of Spray grease onto the heat-shield clip
2. Put starter motor in position and loosely do up the 3 bolts so the motor still has some play
3. Connect up electrical - spade connector then loosely do up main terminal but don't fully tighten down yet
4. Slide heat shield into position from side
5. Push into clip position on starter motor - you can use a long flat screwdriver to lever it on
6. Now fully tighten up main 3 starter motor bolts.
6. Use socket set to tighten the main terminal clamp making sure cable is in correct position behind shield.

Very important to refit correctly to protect cables and starter motor from manifold heat - don't leave it off or fit incorrectly or it will rattle!

Hope this helps - such a painful job to do in a very awkward position!

Good luck
I tried this, albeit with the starter bolted up tight. But the main cable bridged the gap too much to allow me to slide the shield in from the end.
I could have possibly done it like that but there was a risk of nicking the cable with the heat shield clip and I didn't want that.

Clio 182 cup
The heat shield wont go into position with the starter motor bolted tight - needs to have some movement in order to slide it past

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
For the time it takes to undo the manifold I always do it. Takes 10 minutes and saves you a hell of a lot of time faffing and makes it easier to put the heat shield back on.

Clio 182 cup
All I know is it's tight! I've got to change another starter tomorrow so going to undo the manifold and see how it goes - let's hope the bolts undo and the gasket re-seals

Clio 182
Thought I'd add in for anyone's future reference, just got the starter out, tried turning it every which way to get it out the chassis leg past the manifold but was not happening. Ended up getting it out by turning it vertically (arse end up) and lifting out from the top.