ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor?

Renault Clio mk2
Hi quick question, when I start my car about 8-9 times out of 10 it makes a strange grinding kind of noise when starting, is it the starter motor? Cheers

Clio 182
Most likely your starter mate..my mate does the same thing on a 1.2 but its because he hold the key on crank position for long even after it stars. Ur not doing the same?

Renault Clio mk2
My mate said it was that but as soon as I know the cars started if you get me, I let go of the key it's mainly when the cars been stood overnight/few hours mate?

Clio 182
Starter motor solenoid not retracting quick enough, defiantly sounds like it, in that case new starter, my mates starter died so i replaced it for him it was a second hand one, it did what yours is doing, only after a long rest it would grind,, was a 1.2 so he didnt care... But starter it is mate :)

Clio 182
Renparts are quite good, other than them just do the usual web search, call some ren breakers or something.... Cant give a price as i dont know what renault u got!!