ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting how to do Time Lapse

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
I've seen a few video's that some of you have done yourself and videos i've seen on Vimeo and YouTube. I don't know where to start and what settings and what equipment i would need.

Any help will be appreciated

Mk2 ph1 clio
If I was gonna try it I would set my camera up on a tripod, set everything up and put the camera into Av mode.

Using my remote I'd set it up so the camera took a photo once every 30 seconds and leave it for an hour.

Not sure what software I'd use to put them into a video frame though, probably Sony Vegas hd pro 10 which is what I use for any video stuff I do ATM!

If you're free anytime I'm off I can come out n we can see if we can figure it out.

Also... My pm inbox I empty so is sent messages but your pm still hasnt came through!

I've just started playing about with this.

There's a lot more to it than I thought, but I think because I'm trying to do time lapses of day to night, which I've read on quite a few places as the 'holy grail' of time lapse photography!

If you want to do a normal day time one, I set the camera up in manual everything, take a photo every 5 seconds (or less) - then import into software and create the video.

I worked out so far that about 1 hour of photos gives you around 20 seconds, at the conversion and speed I've been doing it.

Another calculation you can do:

Normal video is 24fps, so if you want a minute long video you need 1440 frames, which would take 2 hours to capture at 5 second intervals. So that's a long wait!

That's relatively easy. But I'm experimenting with de-flickering software, that removes apparent flicker caused by slight variations in exposure between frames. But you only get that if you shoot A or S priority, which you might choose when shooting a day to night transition.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
On the same theme .. how do people do their star trails ?!

I always just leave the shutter open for 10-40 minutes, depending on boredom etc... but I've read recently this can cause the shutter to overheat. The Nikons I believe have a digital 'motor drive' where you can set it up for x exposures at x intervals on the camera itself...

Canon's don't have this (Trev, don't you say a f**king word sunshine :rasp:) so I guess the only way to do it properly is laptop + Canon's software set at intervals ?

Finally someone has made a star trail stacker for OS X .. so I want to try this soon....!

Suggestions / hints / tips etc would be welcome. Sorry for crashing the thread ;)

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I connect my Canon via usb to my Macbook Pro and use a piece of software called 'iStopMotion' You can set all the setting using the software. Ive only had a play with it a few times. Make sure your batteries are nicely charged up by the way. Here's a couple I dicked about with just setting it up out my bedroom window, image taken every 30 seconds:

Iy_IhPWklrE

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my first star trails by stacking. 30s exposures, with 1s interval.

Finding a good location with little light pollution is the main challenge!

Camel gti
Hi guys, I thought I would make my first post here as I have just done a few time lapses myself. Im a good friend of "TheEvilGiraffe" he just ticked me off about this thread.

Here's a few of them:

http://vimeo.com/mattdoyle

They were done manually with a Canon 400d, some 1fps some 5fps. Photoshop CS5 does most of the hard work, you can use layers like you would a photo.

Matt.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks people for your ideas and videos, i've gotten a few ideas. Firstly i still havn't got myself a tripod yet but it's on top of my list

I've got a week off next week so yeah Geordie contact me for a get together .

I've had a quick look on YT this guy had it on every 5 secs, so i guess the less the amount of seconds the more fluent it will be? It also mentioned have it on FULL AUTO too but i'm not that confident on my camera yet.

Star trails is the one i want to perfect it on when i get the jist of it.

NOOOOOO!!!! The worst thing you can do it put it on full auto!

You need manual focus, manual white balance, and at minimum - A or S priority.

I'm just about to head off now to get a sunset/night sequence. No idea what to expect, just an experiment!

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Ok Dan,

A and S are they AV and TV on the Camera?

Are you going to post it up on here what you've done like? Also did you get my PM about the pics of the Euro Trip?

On site now, awesome sunset so far! Just hope i got the camera settings right.

4wq7d0

Geddes: cant see why yiu cant download them off my site?!

"Navy" N17 TWO
On the same theme .. how do people do their star trails ?!

I always just leave the shutter open for 10-40 minutes, depending on boredom etc... but I've read recently this can cause the shutter to overheat. The Nikons I believe have a digital 'motor drive' where you can set it up for x exposures at x intervals on the camera itself...

Canon's don't have this (Trev, don't you say a f**king word sunshine :rasp:) so I guess the only way to do it properly is laptop + Canon's software set at intervals ?

Finally someone has made a star trail stacker for OS X .. so I want to try this soon....!

Suggestions / hints / tips etc would be welcome. Sorry for crashing the thread ;)

You have said enough - I'm laughing so much I'm speechless! ;)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Yeah when YOU admit that Nikon is better than Canon - never thought I'd see the day/thread/post/....miracle TBQFH ;)