ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting woes

Renaultsport Clio182
Having problems with my Clio 182 not starting. I changed the battery and crank sensor so far. The battery holds over 12v sitting and rises to 14ish when running so alternator seems to be doing its job. I turn the key immobiliser light goes out and then nothing. But some times it starts fine. Been parking on hills as much as I can. Only been happening this week. Got stuck at a petrol station tonight so that's it I'm either going to diy it in drive or its garage bound on Monday(if the fecker will start). I'm thinking starter but is there anything else I could try. I'm new to these cars so know sod all would appreciate some advice. Thanks all.

Last edited:

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
i had similar probs mine had new crank sensor and loom,new battery and coolant temp sensor been a1 since

Renaultsport Clio182
Coolant temp sensor. Would that really cause a non start? Least its something to add to the possibilities. Nothing worse than a non starting car just pure heart ache :(

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
could do esp starting car from hot,also check if the trip computer keeps resetiing sign of a duff battery on its way out, i dont know what else it could be though cts was around 20 quid did u change the wiring loom with crank sensor

2003 172
could do esp starting car from hot,also check if the trip computer keeps resetiing sign of a duff battery on its way out, i dont know what else it could be though cts was around 20 quid did u change the wiring loom with crank sensor
Some times confused immobiliser, turn key on for 30 seconds off and back on quickly, my mate who worked at Renault told me it's a common problem. Goodluck.

Renaultsport Clio182
I didn't change wiring loom with the crank sensor no. When you say turn key on. Do you mean take it to point before pushing forward for ignition for 30 secs or hold it on as if you were starting car?. I'll go try it. It doesn't seem to matter if car is hot or cold just randomly won't start. I can have it start and stop a good few times in a row then drive it stop and it won't start again. I was wondering if the starter wiring may be a bit grotty. But I can't even find it on this car??

Renaultsport Clio182
Still not got this fixed. Tried other key changing battery and checking key is OK circuit wise. It starts fine at times then at others it does nothing. Sometimes when I close the door and lock it I'm getting 3 long beeps sometimes a continuous beep. Hating this car so much right now. Anyone got any ideas what to look at next?