ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steamed up - Is it a Clio thing?

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve spent the last 6 months or so chasing leaks in my 182 and think I’ve pretty much sorted them. However, with the cold weather at the moment, the windows steam up like mad overnight.

My recirculation flap has been stuck open since the summer and I’ve not been able to close it yet. Would this be making the car suffer condensation during these cool/damp nights? It’s only really on the front screen, drivers window and half of the rear quarter window.

I’ve pulled carpets and checked for leaks and found nothing. It’s bone dry. I’ve fixed the following leaks already:
- scuttle drains cleared including middle one
- heater box seal replaced
- heater matrix replaced
- door seals are ok
- drainage holes in the sills are clear
- rear boot bungs are sealed
- seat bungs fitted

The air con is currently needing gassed and the rear of the car is fairly stripped apart from a decently thick full length boot mat.
Admittedly the windscreen seal is a bit s**t, and a new screen is on my to do list after Xmas.

Anyone else with this issue?

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is doing that just now. I'll turn on the auto screen clear with a.c. and get it totally clear. Then if I stop at a shop it is steamed up again when I get back in.
I’ll get the AC re-gassed and go from there then as I’ve not used it since early this year. I can’t remember it being this bad last year either, even when it was chucking coolant in the footwell.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Pollen filter and/or there’s moisture somewhere. Fix the AC, it’ll help dry the car out.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Mines always been bad for it, even with no leaks and after changing the pollen filter. I bought one of those big silica gel bag things years ago and stuck it under the passenger seat. Not sure if it helped loads but can’t do any harm.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I've contemplated stripping mine back to a bare shell inside to dry it out. The foam under the carpet soaks up water like a super sponge. No matter what you do it will still have water in there

Old cars arent airtight at all, especially Clios in my experience so they are affected by the changes in temperature like we see in the winter months.

Like you, I spent a long time chasing leaks and making sure my car is bone dry inside. When you start lifting carpets and inspecting seals, you realize there really isnt much to insulate a clio from the elements.

As long as my car was dry inside, steaming up overnight etc wouldnt bother me.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Mine almost never steams up, if it does, its next to nothing. But then i do keep a large silica bag under the seat in all my cars.

Yeah i have two of those rechargable silica bag off Amazon in mine too.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah i have two of those rechargable silica bag off Amazon in mine too.

Oh, and i fully sound deadened and insulated it lol.
Funny as i had people telling me that was going to cause condensation. Not sure how that could ever happen anyway because it keeps any humidity in the car from reaching a dew point.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Oh, and i fully sound deadened and insulated it lol.
Funny as i had people telling me that was going to cause condensation. Not sure how that could ever happen anyway because it keeps any humidity in the car from reaching a dew point.

Yeah, probably why yours is better at not steaming up then.

Can't wait to get my AC gassed next week with it's MOT.

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers folks. I can’t find moisture anywhere so I’ll get the AC gassed, double check the pollen filter and get one of those silica bag things.
It’s only at night tbh when the temp drops. Never seems to steam up when driving.

dawgtired

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Mk2 Ph2 172 van
When I put the van together I fitted the AC just for this reason.
Clio's just do it :rolleyes:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That and this time of year with the rain on your shoes etc
Where you leave the car also matters. For the last several years in the underground car-parking at the apartments, I never had an issue. Now that it's parked outside again, I find that I'm using the AC more than I ever did back there.

As you say though - how many people leg it to their cars when it's raining and simply jump in with wet jackets, shoes, etc?

Clio
If you wear one of these it'll solve the problem (you can always get a refund it it doesn't work)

HTB18j9haMmH3KVjSZKzq6z2OXXau.jpg_300x300q50.jpg