ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

steerin shakin at high speeds..

wot cud corse this?
Jst went on motorway n noticd it... Wen u let go of steerin u cn c it shakin left n rite howeva frm what i cn c car is stil prety much goin straight...

Cnt b wheel balancin as wheels are les than 3 months old.. Unles they wernt balancd properly?

Cnt b coz of lowered car cn it? First time on motorway wiv it lowerd..

Did get both steerin rak ends dun howeva due 2 a knock wiv a kerb a while ago..

s'up?

could be for one or more reasons; not an exhaustive list:
- mismatched tyres/pressures
- wheel/hub imbalance (just refit the wheels/studs in different positions to see if that helps)
- tracking/steering gear problem
- bottom arm bushes
- driveshafts

Revels Mum & Sister
PMSL nasty feckers.

As Bender P said tracking or Wheels. One might be buckled init? Brap Brap blooooooooood

TeZ

Non RS : (
Duntz na watz yo tlakin boat mofo, wak a Guage (not 55mm ) on ye tyres Hoe Makz dem pressures gd. Brap.

Mk4 .:R32
what spacers you rollin on?

img1737clio4x417mar07bj6.jpg

lol 10mm at bk onli
I reckon its wheel hub inbalance
Or driveshaft as that popped out of the gearbox when i hit the kerb

driveshafts is the worst case scenario - try some of the free/cheap stuff first to see if that helps.

i'd start by having have a go at taking the wheels off and putting them back on in a different position to see if that does anything. check they're true whilst you've got them off - if you've clouted the kerb, you may well have buckled one.

ValverInBits
If the wheels have the internal weights that are stuck on then it could be that. They sometimes fall off it the wet/washing the car.
By internal weights i mean the ones that are supposed to look nice not the ones that sit on the outer rim clamped between wheel and tyre

hmm.. got wheels balanced at a mates and passenger side one was 10 grams out.. will find out later tonight when i go on motorway

well isnt the balancing, the steering has stopped shaking left and right but when you hold steering at them speeds 70mph.. u can feel the steering wheel vibrating.. is that driveshaft?

ok put standard wheels on and it was fine.. so its the wheels yet the not buckled!

i looked at them though and they seem to have a plastic spacer inside the hole which goes onto the front hub..

coould this be the cause of it i.e gets hot and flexes?

would a metal spacer cure it?

i didnt know it had spacer which came with it..

what do u lot think.. is it the spacer?

its a spigot ring on front? its basically that my i duno whaty u call it , where wheel sits on is too small so the ring fits inside the alloy making the hole smaller and fit..? if u get me

MK6 Fez Zetec S
I think what your on about is a spigot ring which is needed for alloy wheels..sorry cba to read the whole thread so if these have been said i dunno lol..

Maybe your steering rack is on its way out if the wheel shakes at high speeds..or wheels need balancing again? could also be tracking.

Sorry cba to read the whole thread so if these have been said i dunno lol..

lol tracking is fine
bal;ancing is fine, as had gthem re done and no shake on standard wheels and steering rack is fine, was checked at rs tunign in leeds, after i got one end done..

so basiclaly spigot ring will be causing the vibration.. would a metal one work any better than the plastic one? as it seems to fit fine..?

ok, well reblanced and still same problem, so just swapped front and back wheels around and its gone? :S

does that mean i had a slight buckle in the 2 front wheels ? balancing machine didnt pick it up..

glad its not vibrating no more :D

LY 182
jack both front wheels up stick it on stands and put it in first (engine ilding) and watch the tyres
bet there is a high spot on one