ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Controls On aftermarket HU?

A Fast One!
hello!

i am going to be fitting my HU later on and have just been on the phone to find out about the adapter for the steering controls to work with it and i have been told you have to lift the top of the dash off to fit something into the back of the clock display?!

is this correct? if it is how long is it likely to take me? i dunno if i can be arsed with all that effort for just that

cheers in advance,

Alex

Mondeo STTDCI
Yes the easiest way to fit an adaptor is to lift off the dash.

Getting the dash off is surprisingly not all the difficult.

A Fast One!
do you rekon i could get that done as well as my 16cm components done this afternoon and be at a pub 30 mins away by 8pm? lol

how long a job is it to get the top of the dash off and how?

cheers,

Alex

Mondeo STTDCI
There was a good article floating about for dash off, but I couldnt find it on the site.

Basically there's 3 or 4 screws that run along the vent on the top of the dash under the windscreen. They all need to be undone.

Then open the doors and to the side there are 1 or 2 screws each side, going into the side of the dash.

Lastly you need to undo some of the screws under the steering wheel I think.

The screws are varying lengths. Remember where they came from, and DO NOT DROP THEM IN THE VENTS!!!

Then its just push the dash back and up. If you've missed any screws you'll soon realise lol

A Fast One!
cheers dave :D

erm i read in the articles section that you can fit 16cm ones with a bit of cutting? i already have components out of my old car so just wanted to fit those again really......

is it not possible without buying door pods??

Alex

Nike Lunar Elite's
You need to make some mdf spacers to fit the 16s. Cutting is no good because there is a good chance that the speakers will foul your windows by going down that route.

A Fast One!
hydeyho said:
You need to make some mdf spacers to fit the 16s. Cutting is no good because there is a good chance that the speakers will foul your windows by going down that route.

oh right, cheers hydeyho! am i able to buy some spacers from halfrauds or somewhere rather than having to make them?

cheers,

Alex

Nike Lunar Elite's
Dunno if there is anywhere to buy them off the shelf, it wasn't too difficult anyway. Most speakers come with a template for the size ring you need so I just used that.

A Fast One!
so i take it that you cut a spacer and placed behind the speaker between the speaker and the door? do the door card grills go over them ok then? what size mdf did you use?

cheers,

Alex

Nike Lunar Elite's
Yep, thats the idea. My spacers are approx 1inch thick and the grills go back on no problem

A Fast One!
hydeyho said:
Yep, thats the idea. My spacers are approx 1inch thick and the grills go back on no problem

nice one cheers for your help :D

looks like its a trip to halfrauds for the volume controller and then off the B&Q for some MDF!

Alex

Mondeo STTDCI
There's no way your door grills will go back over them IMHO. Obviously depending upon how think you make your spacing rings. I stuck with 13cm just got a pair of Rockfords. THey were over £200 IIRC!

BMW M135i
If you use the adapter from car audio direct then you don't need to take the dash off, it just plugs in to the yellow iso connector that the oem headunit did.

You need one of these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3474&cadid=12974150616f45df22f11a23568a5260

and

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=47_719&cadid=12974150616f45df22f11a23568a5260

one of those for your brand of headunit, i'm using on in mine with my alpine works pretty flawlessly and is way easier than taking the dash off as along as your hu make is one of the supported 6.

A Fast One!
Dave said:
There's no way your door grills will go back over them IMHO. Obviously depending upon how think you make your spacing rings. I stuck with 13cm just got a pair of Rockfords. THey were over £200 IIRC!

well i have a set of infinity reference series components and really like them in my old car so i hope i can sort something so that they fit..... its a pain in the ass buying new kit for every car i get :rolleyes:

Alex

A Fast One!
bmh.01 said:
If you use the adapter from car audio direct then you don't need to take the dash off, it just plugs in to the yellow iso connector that the oem headunit did.

You need one of these

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3474&cadid=12974150616f45df22f11a23568a5260

and

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.php?cPath=47_719&cadid=12974150616f45df22f11a23568a5260

one of those for your brand of headunit, i'm using on in mine with my alpine works pretty flawlessly and is way easier than taking the dash off as along as your hu make is one of the supported 6.

thats brilliant! cheer for that, bound to save a lot of time and arsing about! :D

Alex