ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Knocking noise????

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
Its been doing it for few weeks but last couple fo days its got progressivly worse, when turning corners there is a light knocking noise asif i am running over cat eyes type of knocking. Its not as loud or as harsh as that but its the only way i can think of describing it. Also if i pull away i can kind of feel as if something is loose like moving back and forth under the acceleration excertion? It is all the drivers side wheel and i can feel it in the foot wel on my feet as well as hearing it. Also tonight when i dry steer it sounds like a spring coiling up very quitely?!

I will be dropping it into voodoo motorsport monday morning but any ideas guys? cheers:dapprove:

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
it was serviced last month and they said they herd a slight noise check cv and no leaks but the seal it mint so it could be hiding the fact?! how much are they normally roughly? maybe it could also be the top mounts?

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
it went into voodoo motorsport friday and they changed the whel bearing and its all good now mate, but check your top mounts, cv joint, anti roll bar and bearing. Could be any off those, but in my case obv the bearing

320d
I've had this too since the snow. There are huge peices of ice in the road, its like 2nd gear just on idle bad, you cant even go 10mph. Today it started knocking.

I'm hoping its just a loose top mount though, going to have a look tomorrow.

white leon cupra R
i looked at the top mount but aint got a big enough socket set mine only goes up to 19

it seemed tight thou

clio 172 (52)
Ive just bought a clio 172 (52). about 3 days ago knocking started, the guy said that he had replaced the drive shaft and the cv joint. if its not this then how much would it cost to repair and could i do it myself. sorry if i seem thick,

terry

Mk5 golf gti
check track rod ends too
if not just knockin on full lock
had few problems with dodgy sterering unstable at sped
an slight knock when moving the wheel
after i replaced the track rod ends were replaced it felt much better

S3, Polo
i looked at the top mount but aint got a big enough socket set mine only goes up to 19

it seemed tight thou

IIRC, they should only be hand tight anyway (when replacing them).

The part that fails is the bearing between the rubber bush and the top of the strut.

My n/s mount was full of road grit and appeared to have considerably more play/ wear than the o/s, making the strut knock when pulling away.

monaco blue 172
Its the cv joint,mine starting making same noise,the day it started making the noise it went on me and spat me driveshaft out and had to wait for the nice rac man to pick me up!!

white leon cupra R
its just to cold to be looking around the car , carnt afford some one to look at it either with it being january!!!

please dont break car