ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel locked?

Clio Sport 197 cup
Hi guys, I've got a 53 plate Clio sport 182. Absolutely love it! Tonight I got out and locked it up..went back out an hour later and I can't get the steering lock off!..the key wouldnt turn. Is this something others have had or is it just me? My son tried n he couldn't do it..took my partner 10 mins of wiggling to get it off! Had the car 2 years and it's the second Clio sport I've had and never had this happen before! Any advice greatly appreciated!

Mariusz

ClioSport Club Member
  Silver 182 FF
You mean the key won't turn in the ignition barrel? Did you try moving the steering wheel a little side to side whilst trying to start the car? Found I've had to do that in the past so my key turns.

Clio Sport 197 cup
Hi Mariusz, yes the key wouldn't turn but the steering wheel wouldn't move..normally the steering lock unlocks straight away but last night it was stuck on..no matter how much we moved the steering wheel from side to side! We eventually managed to get it off but now I'm bothered if it does it again!x

C63 PPP Estate
Hi Mariusz, yes the key wouldn't turn but the steering wheel wouldn't move..normally the steering lock unlocks straight away but last night it was stuck on..no matter how much we moved the steering wheel from side to side! We eventually managed to get it off but now I'm bothered if it does it again!x
Reviving an old thread here, but did you just keep wiggling and eventually it came off?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Worth using some keyhole lubricant in the keyhole as the pins in the lock barrel might be stiff/stuck

C63 PPP Estate
AA Put me in touch with locksmith. £250 to replace the barrel; total bad luck, picked the car up yesterday 🤣.

Are there any keyholes in the rest of the car?? Can’t see any: 2005 Clio RS 182.

Is it just a case of reprogram a new key and ignition lock to the car and off we go, no need to replace other locks

C63 PPP Estate
AA Put me in touch with locksmith. £250 to replace the barrel; total bad luck, picked the car up yesterday 🤣.

Are there any keyholes in the rest of the car?? Can’t see any: 2005 Clio RS 182.

Is it just a case of reprogram a new key and ignition lock to the car and off we go, no need to replace other locks
Ignore my foolishness 🙃 Just seen the big key on the passenger side

C63 PPP Estate
I'm sure for a lot less than £250 you could get a UCH and lock set from a breaker.
Yeah so that was going to be my next question; what's involved in swapping the ignition? I imagine the door is pretty simple, I guess I just would swap my immobiliser chip and remote out of the existing key into the new one. I can't find any how-to's on swapping the ignition barrel though. Bearing in mind I can't get the key in to turn the ignition to any of the positions, I guess I need to replace the whole lot. (What's UCH?)

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Can't help you with the ignition barrel, but those sets usually come with the UCH, ECU and your locks and keys I believe. The immobiliser chip in the key talks to the electronics to disarm the immobiliser so need to be swapped together from another car where it all matches if that's the route you go down.
I wonder if it would be as simple as just swapping the locks, ignition barrel and the key blades (easily done if you open up the key), but I bet you'll struggle to find anyone selling just that lot, not a whole ECU, UCH and lock set. Be cheaper either way though.

C63 PPP Estate
Can't help you with the ignition barrel, but those sets usually come with the UCH, ECU and your locks and keys I believe. The immobiliser chip in the key talks to the electronics to disarm the immobiliser so need to be swapped together from another car where it all matches if that's the route you go down.
I wonder if it would be as simple as just swapping the locks, ignition barrel and the key blades (easily done if you open up the key), but I bet you'll struggle to find anyone selling just that lot, not a whole ECU, UCH and lock set. Be cheaper either way though.
Hi mate, ye I think you're right. The bit I'm battling with at the moment is the barrel is knackered and I can't get the key to get to position 1. Everything I'm reading says you need to be in position 1 or two to get to the release switches.

C63 PPP Estate
So I ground off those two pins with a Dremel and deburring bit, which was enough to get the barrel lock out. I've unscrewed the barrel from the rear piece of the ignition lock assembly and can now start the car by turning the little Y shaped plastic piece - which backs onto the lock - with the end of the key. Once it's started, it doesn't seem to need the key near the immobiliser ring, so for now, I'm up and mobile until the second hand lock set arrives. I'm assuming the key insert for the passenger airbag doesn't actually need a lock? Cheers all, you gave me just enough info to give it a go.

Attachments

• tempImagedaCvXQ.png
    tempImagedaCvXQ.png
    13.3 MB · Views: 29
  C63 PPP Estate
So I ground off those two pins with a Dremel and deburring bit, which was enough to get the barrel lock out. I've unscrewed the barrel from the rear piece of the ignition lock assembly and can now start the car by turning the little Y shaped plastic piece - which backs onto the lock - with the end of the key. Once it's started, it doesn't seem to need the key near the immobiliser ring, so for now, I'm up and mobile until the second hand lock set arrives. I'm assuming the key insert for the passenger airbag doesn't actually need a lock? Cheers all, you gave me just enough info to give it a go.
Fitted a new ignition lock and petrol cap, wasn’t looking forward to doing the door. Turns out no need to, the new key fits the old lock 🤣