ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel retrim options/advice

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,

I'm currently talking with Jack at Royal steering wheels regarding getting my wheel redone.

I've heard fantastic things about them within the BMW world and have chosen pretty much to use them and have received several quotes.

The question is.... Alcantara or leather, I really cannot decide at the moment (see examples below, I think from cliosport members). Both will NOT have the top colour marker, and have been quoted with yellow stitching. I've not had an alcantara wheel before, do they wear badly? deal with hand grease ok? This will be a daily driven car. I don't want to mix and match the two materials, however the leather wheel is quoted with perforated sides and nappa top/bottom (black).

Quote is for a slightly thicker wheel + hidden larger thumb grips as below, which I like - the wheel will be as chunky as an E46 M3 wheel which I have for reference and prefer over the standard Clio thickness.

Would really appreciate some opinions!
Cheers

Rob,

Alcantara.jpg

Leather.jpg

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'd look at getting Snappy (search for the thread on here) to do the refurb. I prefer how he still integrates the thumbgrips unline the Royal ones. Those just don't look right...

E.g.

DSCF4065.jpg

However in terms of material, I think leather is the best option if you want the finish to last. Alcantara needs significantly more care to keep looking good.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I'd look at getting Snappy (search for the thread on here) to do the refurb. I prefer how he still integrates the thumbgrips unline the Royal ones. Those just don't look right...

I'm the opposite - I really dislike the snappy/renault grips and have specifically asked Royal to do them as per the pics above. Unless Snappy is 1/2 the price of Royal I'm committed - and have seen/felt Jacks work 1st hand so have a good idea regards to quality to expect.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'm the opposite - I really dislike the snappy/renault grips and have specifically asked Royal to do them as per the pics above. Unless Snappy is 1/2 the price of Royal I'm committed - and have seen/felt Jacks work 1st hand so have a good idea regards to quality to expect.

Fair enough, no doubting Royals work, saw one in a 200 and it looks great.

I think they look a bit weird / bulky with the thumb grips integrated. I'm not a fan of the band at the top that most seem to go for either. It works on a track car etc, but not an an every dayer.

That's my two p's worth.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I think they look a bit weird / bulky with the thumb grips integrated. I'm not a fan of the band at the top that most seem to go for either. It works on a track car etc, but not an an every dayer.

That's my two p's worth.

Totally agree with the band thing - I'm a fan of the integrated thumb grip. Horses for courses etc. I like the feel of the wheel below with oem integrated grips. Royal do a lot of M3 wheels and suspect thats why theirs tend not to have the exposed grips.

173f9139655fe48a758699c3b97b7962622175204b608cd49ede74957e0bb24bb518c1e5e.jpeg

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

E.g.

View attachment 1369691

However in terms of material, I think leather is the best option if you want the finish to last. Alcantara needs significantly more care to keep looking good.

Did you edit that? Didn't see the pic earlier. That wheel does look really smart!

Thats how the 182 wheel should have been from the factory!

182 Trophy
I've had wheels done by Snappy and Royal. Royal done a Sabelt wheel for me all alcantara and tbh I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver. It looks and feels great but it will wear a lot faster than leather.

I've had an all leather wheel with red stitching for my Trophy by Snappy and it was a really nice wheel for a daily driver.
IMG_20180601_212507.jpg
IMAG1645_zpsny8u2eeu.jpg

My latest for the R26 is perforated leather at the sides and alcantara top and bottom. Personally I really like the mixture and think it's the nicest out of all my wheels and is fine for a daily imho.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
what's the best way of cleaning a alcantara wheel? I'm in love with all those leather and alcantara wheels combo!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
watching, my wheel in the phase 1 is alcantara and after 3k of use it will need a clean soon

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I just got mine done by Royal a couple of months ago. Alcantara on top and bottom, and perforated leather on sides. Absolutely love it! Nice to grip, especially in this cold weather. Don't ever want to go back to leather on top lol...

50442293301_3ac7bffc22_k.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
what's the best way of cleaning a alcantara wheel? I'm in love with all those leather and alcantara wheels combo!

I just take mine off and wash it with dish soap & water and a nail brush, towel dry it and let it dry indoors. It actually comes up really well.

Mine must be at least 15 years old, a momo with a suede top part. I dug it out the garage recently after a good 10 years unused (I’d actually hung it up as assumed it was knackered) and the suede looked completely dead and shiny from the last time it was removed. It cleaned up perfectly and the suede pile comes right back.