ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stopping swirl marks

Black-Gold 182
Sorry if this has been posted before.

After I wash my car, I can see really annoying swirls in the sunlight (especially because it's black). I have to wax it, then they disappear.

I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong when washing my car. I use the 'two bucket' method, and have bought expensive wash mits, cloths and drying towel.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

106 GTi
If they disappear when you wax it it is because they are being hidden. Only wax to remove them is with an abrasive polish that actually removes them rather than masking/hiding them.

What mitts and towels did you get ? Most marring and swirling comes from the drying stage.

Black Gold really is a pain in the arse, marks so easily.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I sold mine as it gave me nightmares. I wanted it marr/swirl free all the time. You simply cant on a Black car. You will need to get it PC'd etc to remove the swirls properly

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Here was mine,

210620070432.jpg

On the right was how it looked when clean. I bought a PC polisher. Washed the door down to the bump strips for a ten min play with the polisher one night. The left side was me just playing for ten mins, came up sooooo well. There is nothing better than a swirl free Black Gold when the sun is out. I just found it so hard to look after as a daily driver, the swirls always came back (not to the above state though lol) :( Good luck lol

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have many swirls atm :( I did find using a wash mitt so much better than a sponge though.

Whats the best towel to use?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looks Good does that ^^^^

Will buy 1 once my car has been PC'd

Monaco 172
the miracle dry is good. only i appeared to ruin mine by how i wased it (washing powder) and it done nothing but mar the crap outta my car. nothing a buff and 3M ultrafina coulndt fix. now own a der wunder just to try something different.

Shed.
If they disappear when you wax it it is because they are being hidden. Only wax to remove them is with an abrasive polish that actually removes them rather than masking/hiding them.

What mitts and towels did you get ? Most marring and swirling comes from the drying stage.

Black Gold really is a pain in the arse, marks so easily.

use a decent washmitt, lambs wool is ment to be best but i went to a big f**king mf turtlewax mitt because the sonus lambswool fell apart.

2 bucket method

and a decent mf drying towl like sonus der wunder drying towels.

You wont stop them compeltey lol. Srp and a coat of wax might fill in the marks, but only for a while.

carwash like snowfoam perhaps. or superwash or goldclasse.

drive through car washes cause the swirls... get the car polished and buff'd, that should get rid of them.

Black 172 FF
You havent got swirls until its as bad as the girlfriends:

IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

These are some pics from a test run, she then did the car herself and it now looks spot on :cool:

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Here was mine,

210620070432.jpg

On the right was how it looked when clean. I bought a PC polisher. Washed the door down to the bump strips for a ten min play with the polisher one night. The left side was me just playing for ten mins, came up sooooo well. There is nothing better than a swirl free Black Gold when the sun is out. I just found it so hard to look after as a daily driver, the swirls always came back (not to the above state though lol) :( Good luck lol

Dont look that clean to me tbh. u can hardly tell where uv pc'd. i can just about see the line.

The second pics are crackin though done a good job there. Bet all them swirl marks were from auto car washes??

Black-Gold 182
Thanks guys. Sorry to sound stupid ... what does pc mean?

I've just bought a lambs wool wash mit. I use Maguires wax, polishing cloth. pad and drying towel.

I'm no expert but I have a feeling the swirl marks are coming from the drying.

I always hand wash my car, and hose spray it first to get rid of loose dirt and grit.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Here was mine,

210620070432.jpg

Dont look that clean to me tbh. u can hardly tell where uv pc'd. i can just about see the line.

The second pics are crackin though done a good job there. Bet all them swirl marks were from auto car washes??

It wasn't clean? I only washed the door, and played with the PC for ten mins. You saying you cant see were i PC'd it?. Clue, look at the swirls/scratches to the right of the line on the door!!!

2.0 Auris
Tbh I can see clearly what you have done and its a big change on the right it looks dull on the left its alot sharper

106 GTi

I've just bought a lambs wool wash mit. I use Maguires wax, polishing cloth. pad and drying towel.

I always hand wash my car, and hose spray it first to get rid of loose dirt and grit.

What drying towel ? As said in my earlier post the drying stage is the mostl likely case.

Though unless you are actually using a polish to remove them the Meguiars Wax when applied will hide them, due to it's poor durability when you are washing the car chances are you will be removing it and then revealing the swirl marks it is hiding.

A proper polish is the only way to rid them. Black Gold is a pig to keep swirl free so when de swirled if you really want to keep it that way look into a filtered water to reduce the need to dry it or make sure you have a decent drying towel.

Also blot the car dry with the towel rather than actually wipe with it.

yep I find it better to go for a quick spin after I have washed and rinsed my car..chamious (sp?) scratch the paintwork. like Rich says just dab rather than rubbing...if any water is caught anywhere.
I then use a bit of Auto Glym, super resin polish which I apply with a cotten cloth and polish out with a microfibre cloth.
Then megs quick wax applied the same way as the SRP.
Job done and no swirls :)

Oh yeah..when I brought the car it had quite heavy swirl marks..now it looks like a mirror.

023-2.jpg

033-4.jpg

035-1.jpg

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R

It wasn't clean? I only washed the door, and played with the PC for ten mins. You saying you cant see were i PC'd it?. Clue, look at the swirls/scratches to the right of the line on the door!!!

Thats a great result there.

Mine needs a good going over as it looks grey rather than black/gold at the moment. Just waiting for a good dry day.

Black-Gold 182

What drying towel ? As said in my earlier post the drying stage is the mostl likely case.

Though unless you are actually using a polish to remove them the Meguiars Wax when applied will hide them, due to it's poor durability when you are washing the car chances are you will be removing it and then revealing the swirl marks it is hiding.

A proper polish is the only way to rid them. Black Gold is a pig to keep swirl free so when de swirled if you really want to keep it that way look into a filtered water to reduce the need to dry it or make sure you have a decent drying towel.

Also blot the car dry with the towel rather than actually wipe with it.

Thanks Rich. I use a Maguires drying towel - not sure what it's called. I don't polish my car at the mo, just wax it. TBH my car hasn't got that many swirl marks - and I want to keep it that way.

I really need to know how to prevent swirl marks. Thanks for the info about the drying technique

16v Dynamique
You mean the Megs Water Magnet? TBH I don't rate that towel at all, left alot of marring on mine.

As for preventing swirl marks:
Rinse
A decent prewash is crucial imo i.e. superspray or Glimour
Rinse
2 bucket method with grit guards and decent mitts, foaming up the panel as you go.
Good rinse
Sheet off water
Dab dry with quality towels and drying aid.

106 GTi
Lots of People have noticed marring and swirls from the Meguiars drying towels I would look into changing it asap.