ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange noise after cambelt and aux belt change

R26
I got my cambelt/aux belt/idlers/tensioners changed at AngelWorks last week and ever since I've had a wierd noise coming from my engine - it sounds like they've added a supercharger to it!

At low revs it sounds like air escaping from somewhere, but when you pick it up past 2.5k there is a whining noise. Then if you take your foot of the pedel and coast the car in gear it will make a similar noise to a supercharged car coasting down the revs.

Any ideas what this could be? I don't want to ring AngelWorks yet as I know they are really busy and this could be nothing...

Cheers

-Jas.

as above, belt is too tight, I had this when Ben installed my cams. Just take it back if he's local or get a local garage to losen it off a bit.

well, not being funny mate, but it's Ben's error, so I'd take it back to him and charge him your petrol expenses etc as it should have been right the first time. Having dealt with him before and with hindsight being a wonderful thing I'd not want to pay out for someone else's mistake. Speak to him and see what he says, I think he'd be okay with it.

R26
Ok. Will give him a call later today.

Is a belt being too tight a huge problem, or can I get away with leaving it till my next service towards the end of November?

cup 182 mit stripes
Perhaps you should have taken it to a reputable main dealer. There are some good ones out there [in spite of the bandwaggon numpty slaters on here] with factory trained techs.

R26
Perhaps you should have taken it to a reputable main dealer. There are some good ones out there [in spite of the bandwaggon numpty slaters on here] with factory trained techs.

I agree that there are main dealers with a good reputation as they are very good at what they do in both service and sales. The only thing is that when you see one of the techies spinning up a 172Cup and hammering it in first gear to the service bay it really does put you off wanting to hand over your keys and hard earned. Also I feel better giving my car to someone who is passionate about what they do and not just there to earn some money.

Ok. Will give him a call later today.

Is a belt being too tight a huge problem, or can I get away with leaving it till my next service towards the end of November?

it's not really a major problem imo, at least it wasn't too major on the Williams, I got 2 live to do mine about a month later as he mentioned it's not "ideal" and sorted it there and then. I'd certainly not worry or lose sleep over it, it's not particularly a big deal unless the noise is horrendously loud.

If you end up having to take it to Renault it may cost a fair chunk, I dont really know as I dont use them, never have, but either way make sure this doesn't put you out of pocket in any way.

Ex Ph-Quick
I had this on mine changed at the same place. At least i now know what it is. And i thought it was because i went though a big puddle lol.

Can i loosen it myself?

I'm sure you can get the tools, 2 live does all his work in the back yard and on his own it only took him a morning to put his Williams on ITB's back to completely standard and have it running.