ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange noise...

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
When in the cabin at idle (without the stereo on) you can hear what sounds to be pumping/circulation of fluid. You can't hear it under the bonnet and I never noticed a noise like this on either of my other 172's.

Any ideas? It's been like this for the 3k I've owned it (i think) and it drives spot on.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
its likely to be the fuel pump. Other possibility is you have air in the cooling system. I'd get this checked as it can lead to head problems if not rectified. I had a BX GTi a few years ago and heard gurgling sounds from the heater matrix for a while and didnt do anything about it. It ended up cracking the head cos of air in the system and seeing off the head gasket.
I got rid of the car pronto after that.,

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I don't really want that do I. How would a garage check for this?

Any decent garage should be able to bleed the cooling system. Pretty sure there's even guides on here. Have a search about. It's probably something you can do yourself quite easily.

That may not be the problem, of course.

Iceberg Ph1
I'd start by taking the cap of the cooling fluid tank, start the car and see if it gurgles, that would tell you if there is air trapped, never had to bleed a Clio before, mine had a new rad when I brought it so never had issues there, some radiators have a nipple you can undo usually located at the top either side, undo the nut/screw slightly and see if water pours out or spits out, if it spits its trapped air, leave it to spit until a steady flow of water comes out, assuming that it is an issue with an air lock..

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
Just been out in the car. The noise seems to vary on release of the clutch? If the radio is on you can't notice it and the engine noise must drown it out from under the bonnet.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I'd start by taking the cap of the cooling fluid tank, start the car and see if it gurgles, that would tell you if there is air trapped, never had to bleed a Clio before, mine had a new rad when I brought it so never had issues there, some radiators have a nipple you can undo usually located at the top either side, undo the nut/screw slightly and see if water pours out or spits out, if it spits its trapped air, leave it to spit until a steady flow of water comes out, assuming that it is an issue with an air lock..

Cheers Darren, I'll try that.