ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange problem with auto wipers

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I seem to have a weird problem with my auto wipers. The issue is that when in the auto position, they operate in the same way that standard intermittent wipers would, wiping at a set interval of a few seconds whether it's raining or not. I've followed the instructions in the manual, twiddled the sensitivity dial and various other things I've seen on here but nothing works!

It's almost as if the car doesn't know it has auto wipers and has resorted to a basic interval wipe setting...is it possible for the car to 'forget' it has auto wipers, or for something to interfere with this fuction? The sensor is coming away from the screen slightly/has air between it and the screen on a small section, so this is the only thing I can think of - however, the auto lights still work fine, and no amount of pushing/pulling/twiddling with the sensor affects the wipers at all. I know most people would much rather have normal interval wipers, but as it's a feature the cars meant to have it's just really bugging me! Any help appreciated. :)

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Try remove the sensor and refitting with new gel.

From what I've seen, there is no real alternative to the gel it's originally fitted with - I've seen various kinds used, even ibuprofen, but seems it all dries out and everything stops working again. Any reccomendations for gel?

Mainly I ask as I would've thought they'd behave erratically if it was the sensor, but maybe it's peeling off in such a way that makes it behave like normal interval wipers...

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
To be honest i would expect them to just not work, have they ever worked properly?

Clio 182, Astra Sri
a89d294c.jpg

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
To be honest i would expect them to just not work, have they ever worked properly?

Nope, never. It's only a small thing as they do still work fine, it's just like driving a car without auto wipers! Getting round to sorting all the little niggles out now though and this happens to be on the list, so seeing what can be done.

Regarding the Durex, I really don't love my Clio that much!

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I wish my car didn't know it had auto wipers because they're possessed, sometimes the slightest drop makes them go ape sh*t,
then other days it can be pissing it down and it does sod all.

I wish I could just set them on intermittent so they wiped at regular intervals.

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
I wish my car didn't know it had auto wipers because they're possessed, sometimes the slightest drop makes them go ape sh*t,
then other days it can be pissing it down and it does sod all.

I wish I could just set them on intermittent so they wiped at regular intervals.

Yeah, I mean I've got no real issue with them as they do work, but it's annoying me that they don't work as they should...also sometimes I wish I could have a slightly slower intermittent speed/slightly faster depending on circumstances. On my old Corsa you could set your own interval speed, so if the auto wipers worked (and worked properly) then it'd be great! I'm afraid of fiddling with them and it being worse tbh, but I'm a perfectionist! I may well crack out the ibuprofen gel and see what happens...