ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange stone chip...

BMW M3

Driving home tonight about 10:30 pm on a straight dual carrage way at about 80 mph with no cars in sight, when suddenly.......BANG !!! Huge thud on passanger door. My mate and i absolutly s*at it !!!! Dropped him at home and assessed what the deal is and there is a massive stone chip on the passanger door which wasnt there before as i know my car inside-out. Luckly it was on the plastic strip but it is still apparent.

My question is this: How on earth did that get there??? The strip sticks out more then the tyre so could not have come off from there and there was nothing in sight.

Really annoying as i hate chips on my car.... touch up paint i think.

6/468 17poo

this happened on my dads car really annoying as it came from no where he was annoyed for a while just picked the car up to-gutted!

Mini Cooper S sport

Thats weird..maybe you clipped it somehow and the slipstream knocked it against the door?

*clutching at straws*

BMW M3

Yeah i was thinking along those lines.... thinking harder now there was a cone (i think!!) on the verge, so, by a very slim chance i could have chipped a stone very quickly into the cone and it bounced back further down the car but it would have had to be shifting to have only dropped 1m down the car at 80 mph.... surely not... still baffled????

Unless it was some N*bs in the bushes with an air rifle...

i think air rifle would do more damage than a stone chip lol, ur talking a pellet travelling at 340mph (500fps). Shot through baked beams tin no probs with mine.

The cone theory is more likely tho still a bit far fetched,

BMW M3

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 07 September 2005

maybe an animal ran into you?
^^^ LOL.... blo*dy sounded like it!!! Its chipped, brown and dented so maybe a brown beaked bird..lol.

On the Air rifle subject, i have two, strickly for ligitimate reasons... One is the most powerful you can get without a licience and the other is an ancient one with no power that i could imagin causing a similar mark on my car from that distance.... could have been young idiots going for my tyre for a bit of fun.... but lets hope not !!!!!

BMW M3

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 07 September 2005

maybe there was a stick/log/tree/forest in the road which you drove over?
Didnt spot anything or feel it through the car and there were not any trees about, just bushes about 15 metres away. Def felt like someone had lobbed a stone at me...

Clio 200

Could have been a high speed bird ? :/

Might have driven over something, that flipped it up onto the side of your car. its happened to me before