ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strong petrol smell

hi,

every morning after i've been driving for about 15 minutes, when I put the blowers on i get a really strong smell of petrol. you can then smell petrol inside and out of the car even after doing short journeys through the day. i dont seem to be using any more fuel than normal - but am starting to get dizzy(er). . . any ideas anyone???

cheers

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds like a fuel lines either split or coming loose . I'd get it checked our asap if you can't find it yourself . I had the same on my Pug 306 2 days after i bought it , rang the garage and they told me not to drive it and sent out a mechanic straight away .

MrBillyUK !

MERCEDES CLS AMG
On clios the fuel tank sender unit is situated under the rear seat. Sometimes the ring that holds the sender unit down becomes lose or distorted - Also check the rubber seal that fits into the ring. If either of these are loose, petrol fumes will seep into the inside of the car.

williams 2 turbo
i had that, the rubber seal under the ring under the rear seat had perished,
p.s. its a bugger to undo, ask you local renault dealer if you can borrow the tool they have for it, i did and job done in 2 minutes.

cheers guys,

i actually had a few probs with my fuel pump last summer and had it changed a couple of times (second hand parts). The seal was leaking then and it really smelt strong. It was a couple of months after it was sorted the smell started again, but seems the garage said they couldnt see anything wrong with the seal - also the smell this time seems to be coming from the front thru the vents, rather than the rear seat - is this possible, or am I losin it from the fumes???

Williams Clio
Check your feed and return hoses on the fuel rail, as mine split reccently and its the 2nd time its happened to me. Just about to go out and have a fun day fixing it now.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
check your oil breather pipe is still connected and in decent condition.

Everyone who gets in my car comments on the petrol smell, its just oil vapour from the oil breather :(

Mégane RS
Could be the return pipe, thats what happened to mine, smell was only when i had stopped or when i was off the accelerator

FOR SALE: '97 Clio 1.4 RT
Vinnyc19 said:
Could be the return pipe, thats what happened to mine, smell was only when i had stopped or when i was off the accelerator

Since when did you take your foot off the accelerator? :D

-Akira