ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strut Braces?? anyone use got one??

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
as above, ive seen a cheap sparco front one on ebay, just wondered if anyone has one, and if they are worth it, even for the asthetics? dant

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
as long as you fix them to the strut tops they will be beneficial...I've got an OMP one, yet to fit.

Maz

LY 200
I've got an OMP one, got it cause it looks good, lol

Havn't got a clue what its meant to do :eek:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
i'm getting mine colour coded cos Primary red doesn't go with the flame red...lol

VRS
heres mine, got it cos was told that me coilovers wud add extra stress to the struts and that it wud stiffen up the body and make cornering better!

imo it is worth the money and you can feel the difference

IMG_0257.gif

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
cheers guys, ill get it then, sparco one, or omp?? omp are more expensive, but i think they have ajusters, wb cheers

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
adjusters....? you wouldnt want to adjust a strut brace.

Essentially its a steel bar... either one will do.

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
you need the adjusters so you can move the length of the struty in case your body differs from standard at all. even by one mm, cos then it wont fit.

Ph1
When folk say its best to bolt it in i take it its held in by bolt and locking nut ??

What size bolt does it take ?? and is it a simple job or is it suspension out so as to get access to tighten the nuts ??

Do OMP do them in black ??

Be honest, only Japanese car require strutbrace cos their cars chassic are not as good as European car.

The thing that really really help had already exist on our Clio - Anti-Roll Bar.

howie p said:
would self tapping screws/bolts would do instead of taking the wheel etc off?
ajketley said:
I use self tapping screws and it sits rock solid also had it on there over a year
No......screws will still allow movement, if you are gonna fit a strut brace you need ot bolt it on properly or it won't do the job its inteneded to do

hkka said:
Be honest, only Japanese car require strutbrace cos their cars chassic are not as good as European car.

The thing that really really help had already exist on our Clio - Anti-Roll Bar.
So if it doesn't make a difference on the clios why does it crease the roof ont eh mk1 clio? Lower engined mk1 clios never had an ARB

Strut Brace makes a bit difference, but I am sure ARB will work much better. I don't know lower engine clio much, but fit the 172/182's ARB if it can fit onto.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
hkka said:

My mate had a strut brace on his saxo vtr and if it wasnt for his strut brace, his engine would have been no more.

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
No hit a curb and flipped it with me inside it, totally fucked the key to my clio. Still havent got a replacement, £120!!!

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
hkka said:
Strut Brace makes a bit difference, but I am sure ARB will work much better. I don't know lower engine clio much, but fit the 172/182's ARB if it can fit onto.

to comment, you'd need to understand what both of them do, and you dont seem to.

The ARB works almost like a spring, to reduce body roll.

Strut braces reduce body flex, not roll, thus firming up the chassis (meaning suspension geometries arent affected so much under cornering, etc).

two completely seperate things.

1997 Mk1 Megane 2.0 16v
haha, bit of an ending fest going on here i should start threads more often!! cheers for all guys, sparco one should be here this week. gdgd

Friction said:
to comment, you'd need to understand what both of them do, and you dont seem to.

The ARB works almost like a spring, to reduce body roll.

Strut braces reduce body flex, not roll, thus firming up the chassis (meaning suspension geometries arent affected so much under cornering, etc).

two completely seperate things.

Did I ever mention they work the same?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
hkka said:

PMSL...What a load of b****cks...statements like that will make people think you dont know a great deal about cars or engineering in general.

Turbo Beige
hkka said:
Did I ever mention they work the same?

THEY DONT!

The ARB acts as a negative spring pulling an unloaded (outside) wheel down during cornering to prevent excessive body roll and increase roll stiffness. ARB conects the wheels.

Strut brace prevents the strut tops from flexing under heavy loading (cornering, braking or accelrating) to keep the geometries the same both sides.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
PYE21 said:
THEY DONT!

The ARB acts as a negative spring pulling an unloaded (outside) wheel down during cornering to prevent excessive body roll and increase roll stiffness. ARB conects the wheels.

Strut brace prevents the strut tops from flexing under heavy loading (cornering, braking or accelrating) to keep the geometries the same both sides.

Ahhh someone who know what there talking about....

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
EVOgone said:
Ahhh someone who know what there talking about....

Correct...Couldn't have said that better myself...The front strut will stiffen the front end to the extent where the car will pivot...This will aid with release speed and get rid of any mid corner understear.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
Correct...Couldn't have said that better myself...The front strut will stiffen the front end to the extent where the car will pivot...This will aid with release speed and get rid of any mid corner understear.

Cheers..