ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strut braces....help!

Can anyone tell me:

1. Which braces I can put on a MK2 172 without drilling the car (if any)?

2. Where can I get them from and for how much?

3. Should I bother with both front and rear braces?

Cheers,
Rhys

Hiya Rhys, All front braces will require drilling for the brace to fix to the body, because the 172s shocks dont have upper mounts so there isnt any bolting points. Some people make bolt on rear strut braces but they squeak like hell (I have one), if you are going to get a rear strut brace get a proper one. I know a German brand called Wiechers Sports who make very trick machined aluminum strut braces for the 172, it would make the Italian brands look like backyard jobs!

I thought about strut braces a while back. But to be honest even after lowering you wouldnt notice the difference, unless you do track days. For normal fast driving you would have to drive like a maniac to notice the difference. When I had a Astra SXI I did notice better handling after struct braces but that was in a Mk2 SXI and I dont think there chassis (spelling) was that great, where as the 172s should be pretty damn good.

Chun.

I have to dissagree.

After I fit the strut brace to my 5 the difference in how the car turned into corners was masive, one of the best mods I done to my car.

I used it when I had both standard and Koni shocks on the car too, and it made a masive difference in both instances.

Just my view.!

[Barryd]
the 5GTT has a relatively old chassis. The new breed of cars (such as the Clio II) which the super-safety-NCAP-conscious manufacturers are creating have much much stiffer/rigid chassiss and so the difference in handling is not as great. However, no matter what the amount of difference you see, it will only be positive...so go and buy one.

BarryD notice I did say it made a difference on my Astra SXI, which had a pretty sh*t chassis Not taking anything away from the R5 but it wasnt the most flex proof chassis in the world Yes it will make a small difference but I still dont think it will be a massive increase in the way the car handles, considering how rigid the Mk1 + Mk2 172s where, has anyone here done this to a 172?. I put a strut brace on my Cav turbo 4x4 and can honestly say it make bugger all difference, they look cool but I think your money can be spent else where.

Chun.

Thanks for the replies. Still undecided about what to do. Part of the problem is that they are cheap, wont harm the car in any way and look damned good under the bonnet. What a sucker, eh?!

Rhys

heard that it should be alright for the 1.4l but not for the 172...still trying to confirm for the 1.4 before i purchase...

was thinking...these omp ones are steel and very strong...what if it has been installed and i get into an accident that hits the left side, wont the brace transmit part of the impact shock over to the other side and damage it?

paranoia i suppose...

any comments?

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com

Konahead, if you were in an accident that caused enough shock to damage the otherside, chances are there would be more damage than just the front left side!!!

Man Chun, I have both front and rear strut braces in my 172 (Lowered) and the rear is a lot more predictable under hard cornering (no brakes) and the front is also stiffer and holds it turn with less understeer. Im guessing you havent pushed your 172 hard enough!

Ok then, I also have a strut brace on my Twin turbo Supra, it also makes a big difference compared to not having one. The chasis is extreemly stiff even without it, alot more so than a Clio.

For the sake of £40, get one, it WILL make a difference.

BMW 320d Sport

On my 16v it made a difference and that had a pretty good chassis already although it does flex. Only problem is that with the front end stiff as a shopping trolley now the roof takes the flex instead!

Still a strut brace is a bloody good place for leaning on when youre working on a hot engine.