ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subaru Impreza STI Photo shoot

Well I've finally wiped the dust off my camera and got out there! Just a very quick shoot with a mate, of his pride and joy.

We happened to stumble on this location, bit generic, but it was the best we could do just scouting about. Only had just over an hour too, so a bit rushed.

DSC5114_blog.jpg

DSC5140_blog.jpg

DSC5165_blog.jpg

DSC5125_blog.jpg

DSC5195_blog.jpg

This was the first time I've used my lights in over a year, so it was good to know they worked still (just!)

Snapped a few out take shots too, which some may be interested in :)

outtake1.jpg

outtake2.jpg

Hopefully I'll be back out there again soon!

Thanks

Thanks, it was a bugger to light evenly! If I had more time I would have done multiple exposures, and moved the flash around the car too.

Next time.......

And yes, it does look (and sound) evil!

RIP Dan
Great shots Dan, god knows why you are not confident enough to charge peeps. (I don't mean this shoot as its a mate)

172 and vw passat
Awesome pics as usual. Liking the shots of your setup as well good to see what helps with the shot. As for the car looks mean and a very nice colour choice :D

You can't do a proper shoot without them. Although you can some nice shots with natural light too.

Not cheap for a decent set of portable lights though.

Very nice photos Dan. Thanks for posting the flash setup shot too as it helps set the scene for me!

Cracking shots. It's pictures like these and some of the stuff that Mike Burroughs on stance works, the guys on Mayday Garage etc that makes me want stuff like a few flash units to light the bloody things properly.

Ace shots. Do you flatten the light in the reflections in PP or just position them well?

I din't do anything with the lighting in post. The flat look is due to the circ pol filter.

I didn't do a great job of positioning the lights, as I was a bit rushed.

For example, the rear shot - the rear isn't lit evenly, and there's that hotspot buy the rear wheel arch.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Nice. Mate has a White 330s with tweaks properly rare car and a beast.

2.2 bar shed.
Nice work. I need another £1700 to afford the Elinchrom setup I'm after. Proper lighting ftw, using speedlites to light a car is just a false economy.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Idiot question but in the shots of peoples setups it's reasonably light with daylight, but then in the pictures themselves it seems darker with the lighted areas being 'normal'.

Is this due to the camera under exposing the shot but the lights bringing back those areas?

Pretty much yes. You wouldn't normally expose the frame 'correctly', you would underexpose it, so the flashes light the car more effectively.

If you took the same photo without the flashes going off it would look well underexposed. How low you go is up to you really.

My photos look a bit darker too as I applied a vignette in post to try to make it a bit more dramatic too.

Oil Burner
These are rubbish Dan...

I hate you for being so good at lighting.
Cracking shots and a stunning car!

Lol thanks Nick.
Phil - speed lights are good, but they can lack that power you need when competing against the sun. I occasionally use speed lights too to fill in areas that I can't light well, or interiors.