ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggestions on reducing width to fit on trailer...

Im after some ideas on how to reduce the front track width of my clio, temporarily.

Basically I have free use of a car trailer for trackdays (it is designed for a caterham sized car), HOWEVER, when we tried to load the clio last week, the front track of the clio is ever so slightly too wide. Its literally about 1/2-1" too wide on the front. The back is fine.

In the end I drove to the trackday and another car brought up all the kit, but I was trying to think of some possible 'work-arounds' to get it on. We tried both sets of wheels that I have but the offset is the same.

One idea I had was to fit a couple of space savers to the front of the car, however I was wondering if this would actually give any benefit, as although the wheels are thinner, would the widest point be the same? Also not sure if they fit over the calipers, as I know on some cars space savers only fit on the back.

And yes, I know the proper solution is to buy a wider trailer, but I cannot justify this at the moment.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Reversing it wouldn't work i doubt, it'd just be the same as driving it on forwards but the front wheels catch at the rear of the trailer.

Plus you affect the nose weight for towing and all sorts.

What offset are the current wheels? If something like 35, then maybe some 43s or higher may do the trick. I have a set of Oz F1s which are 43 and a set of Sparcos which are 35 and the Oz's definitely sit an inch or so further into the wheel arch over the Sparcos.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai just grab set of ET43 wheels, so OZ F1 or even stock 172 wheels, that should sort it

Ph2 Clio 172
Only need 1

What size tyres are you running?

When i sold my 172 lad came with a trailer and we had the same issue. Had 182 cup rims and 205/45r16s on. The spare was original rim with 195/45r16 on. Fitted it and it went on

Only need 1

What size tyres are you running?

When i sold my 172 lad came with a trailer and we had the same issue. Had 182 cup rims and 205/45r16s on. The spare was original rim with 195/45r16 on. Fitted it and it went on

Running 195/50/15s mate.

Sweet ill try that then! Can you remember roughly how much narrower it made the car?