ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggestions - Summer Detail - Pre Planning

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
When I come to bringing my car out I plan on giving it a full detail so in the interim I plan on stocking up again. Haven’t been on the scene for a while!

I plan on doing everything from wheels off doing the arches to machine polishing. I just have a few questions in regards to some products I plan on buying and please share if you think something is better in what I'm trying to achieve.

Firstly:

IronX or Wolf's Chemical Deironizer - This stuff seems very impressive so looking forward to trying it. I'm I right in saying it can be used on the whole car? The V6 is partly fiberglass, will this be okay to use? And what’s best to apply it with and I assume process goes wash car, ironx then clay?

Meguiars APC - I plan on using this for the arches, this okay or any better ideas? What is good for sealing/dressing this once done?

Polish - Suggestions for this one please, going to be machine polishing but need the polish. It’s a silver car so not sure on what to go for?

In terms of Wax I have got Dodo juice which is designed for silver cars so never tried anything by dodo before so look forward to trying this too. Smells good!

Thanks,
Ben

Hi Ben. Long time buddy. Good to see you're back on the scene.

Iron x works quicker than the Deironizer but deironizer can be left to form a gel on wheels and then blasted off taking brake dust with it. Iron x is a liquid so I've found I tend to use more.

Wash->Tardis->wipe down->Deiron->pressure wash down-> clay.

Works fine on all body work, arches, wheels etc.

Apcs are a personal choice. I prefer AutoSmart G101 over Meg's APC. But potato potato really. Look through my threads for arches. A recent detar, deiron, wash and protect using a few products that might be new to you, C4 from
GTechniq specifically.

Polish wise, I still get on well with the 3M and Menzerna polishes. Depends on how bad the marks are.

LSP wise, have a look at something like the Acryllic kit from Werksat. Fantastic cleaner (Prime) and protection (Jett). Ignore the glos as a QD.

Hope this helps.

Jamie

Sorry, wipe down after each de... So detar, wipe down with an old MF. Deiron, wipe down with an old MF.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Thanks Jamie,

Just had a look at the thread great work on the arches!

So essentially it looks like IronX is the better option and the process for this is wash > AS Tardis (never heard of this before. Is it good/worth it?) > IronX > Wash Off > Clay? In regards to applying IronX just a damp MF?

Polish I will need to think about

That GTech4 stuff looks expensive for size? is it really good? or any alternative

Whats your thoughts on a glaze then wax? Just I already have the wax and want to use it.

Thanks again

Golf GT & A4 Avant
C4 is expensive but then should last several years without re-application or UV damage, but it's not the easiest to apply. best non permanent trim dressing I've used is auto finesse revive.

IronX is pretty good and can be bought in a soap gel or paste instead of spray on liquid, spray on, leave to dwell then work in with a damp cloth and wash off. have a look through http://i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/CarPro.html

T
ardis is by far the best tar remover, AG tar remover can be used but won't perform as well or as quick

If you're looking for correcting with a polish there may not be much benefit from using a glaze

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Thanks Dave.

Not sure if I should go down Tardis route as the car isnt tar affected, surely IronX then clay would do?

Cheers for the link, surely it would be polish to correct then glaze followed by a few coats of wax?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
what I meant was you might not get as much gain from using a glaze if you've already fully corrected, plus it may shorten the life of your wax, but it may help so just do as you say above and maybe apply another layer of wax more often.

using tardis will takes minutes so I use it every time as it will always remove something you didn't see,

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Thanks mate,

Do you do the whole car in this tardis stuff or just the lower bumper etc?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
me personally only bumpers and wings / doors up to the window line. If you're not making an online order and passing a Halfords have a play with autoglym intensive tar remover, not as good but same sort of thing.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Already have the AG stuff, just use that maybe but leave to soak for a while longer.

Thanks again

Megane R26
Definitely IronX over Decon Gel and any other the 500 other products which are now flooding the market. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also the best. The new formula is also even more effective.

G101 is better than Megs APC and about half the price and you get 5L as opposed to 3.78L, so a no brainer.

JD has the rest covered too, but I'd look at Auto Finesse Tough Coat in place of the Werkstat stuff - just as easy to use but looks a bit sharper IMO

Clio RS
ironx, used this on my wheels. never cleaned the inside of em, sprayed it on, waited a couple of seconds, unbelievable!!!

I like products like autoglym paint renovator and super resin polish for a bit of correction.

I use dodo juice blue velvet as a wax. expensive, yes, but it smells soooooooooooooooo good and it lasts a long time 2

White clique
I also used the iron X on most of my car, boot, front and sides, and it pulled off a load of gunk from there too, especially the back of the car, its a great product.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Could someone please let me know if TRIX Iron is as good as just Iron X ?

It's a mix of iron x and tar x isn't it? Tardis is the one to go for. And iron x. Both have competitors but they just aren't as effective.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Not tried it but I can't imagine the two combined would work as well as a single dedicated product, may be fine if contamination wasn't too bad say when using to strip off old waxes / sealants to start again.