ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharger help

172 Ph1

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445991657.369122.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445991657.369122.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 419
I already have the aircon deleted and also have epas steering so plenty room. Why does the charger attatch to the alternator belt? Does it not force air like a turbo? Also is it a must to change the valves like you did or was that just for reliability? Thanks

@notfastnotfurious do you have the pms aircon delete? If so you would need to convert back as the s/c can not be run on the pms kit did to belt width

The charger runs from the crank and is run off the aux belt drive as it replaces the air con pump in location
As it's a belt driven turbo in effect so requires a belt to drive it unlike a turbo that runs on exhaust gas

As for the valves they are Not required for low boost but would be a good upgrade as I had my head off at the time and running more boost it made sense

SQ5
It's so simple it's silly.

Remove engine, take it to gave Cambelt done and key way pulley fitted.

Get engine back, add bracket, add supercharger.

Put engine back in, plumb in boost pipe work and supercharger oil cooler

Get mapped

I did mine start to finish including painting the engine bay, wiring in a different ECU and driving 3 hours to get Cambelt done in about 30 hours.

Everything sounds simple, depends on how mechanically adept you are tbh

This.

It's simple for someone like me or you, but not sure it's something the average DIY home mechanic should take on, or the op by the sound of things.

Yes maybe you could do it in a weekend or something if you had done it before. But when I charged mine for the first time and I factor in all the research time, checking pulley sizes, air flow rates, restrictor sizes etc etc. As well as getting everything installed neat and tidy and not looking like it was just thrown together it took weeks!

Last edited:
most of the hard work will be done already with the kit tbh, pulley sizes are either 85mm or 90mm depending on whats required, my kit takes care of all the belts and pulley side of things
looking at making some restrictor's in various sizes too

most of the hard work will be covered

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
most of the hard work will be done already with the kit tbh, pulley sizes are either 85mm or 90mm depending on whats required, my kit takes care of all the belts and pulley side of things

If my R3 engine goes pop or doesn't impress I'll be in touch for one of your kits mate. :up:

You can also play around with pulley sizes and restrictors to tailor the boost and power band. I used a 95mm pulley on mine as I wanted the boost and power nice and low and further up the rev range as this was better for the racing.

The brackets look well made mate, I would have had some myself if they had used an auto-tensioner.

RB Clio 182
You still could do tbh. Just take the turbo off and run the charger instead. You'll be able to run more boost as your on low comp anyway aren't you?

Andys medium boost build, megane internals etc 280hp.

Its currently in getting repaired as the cam seal popped out causing a massive oil leak, so it needs stripping and checking for repairs, once its fixed its going up for sale I think.

Its currently in getting repaired as the cam seal popped out causing a massive oil leak, so it needs stripping and checking for repairs, once its fixed its going up for sale I think.

If its got megane piston's that means the vvt will have been disconnected. Not a problem with a turbo setup as you can dial in some boost to compensate. Not so easy with a charger though.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I'd love a supercharger...

It sounds less hassle..

It is the less hassle route.

The only real downside compared to a turbo in terms of reliability is the charger will let go at some point, and compared to the Turbo you can't rebuild them. So another Rotrex is about £700 - £1k.

Oh, and less torque. But i'm more than happy with my 250bhp and 220 lb ft. Doesn't exactly feel slow. Lol!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

The only real downside compared to a turbo in terms of reliability is the charger will let go at some point, and compared to the Turbo you can't rebuild them. So another Rotrex is about £700 - £1k.

Oh, and less torque. But i'm more than happy with my 250bhp and 220 lb ft. Doesn't exactly feel slow. Lol!
It doesn't break gearboxes either. Well not as much as a turbo conversion does! :wink:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

Seems a shame to sell it, but I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...

Totally... A new charger would seem a pita,but being a sealed (they're sealed right?) unit I would expect there life span to be long and uninterrupted.

I've been around turbos a long time and something just loves to kill them and no matter how hard people try they just bite the dust..

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Totally... A new charger would seem a pita,but being a sealed (they're sealed right?) unit I would expect there life span to be long and uninterrupted.

I've been around turbos a long time and something just loves to kill them and no matter how hard people try they just bite the dust..

Yep, they are sealed. I don't want to tempt fate by saying mine is all fine and dandy 😂

172 Turbo
This.

It's simple for someone like me or you, but not sure it's something the average DIY home mechanic should take on, or the op by the sound of things.
My last project was a 205 GTi6, swapping the engine, building the loom, etc.
Took 3 days plus a few hours to mate the loom.
Sadly, with kids, spending hours in the garage is now an hour here & there so this kind of project would take months!