ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

supercharging a 1.2?

Clio V6 Mk2 255
With supercharging or turbocharging you are effectively increasing the displacement of your engine by a % factor i.e. the boost above atmospheric pressure gives you the positive displacement often referred too. I would probably use a multiplier of 1.5 to give you the typical gains you can achieve so your 1.2 would become like a 1.8.

I wouldn't think it would make sense supercharging or turbocharging a 1.2 when you get get the same result by simply using a 1.8 or 2.0 litre engine from the same model range and gain basically more power at a cheaper cost and better reliability.

Also consider probably the most important thing ...

The 1.2 car which is being supercharged probably has suspension, brakes and running gear suitable for a 1.2 and not 1.8 ... So you would probably be best off using another base car and engine anyway rather than doing an engine transplant in order to retain safety. Don't forget your insurance company would expect engineers reports to say the work was to a satisfactory level which would include overall vehicle safety and suitability for the conversion.

With any tuning there is always a 'bigger picture' and often tuning is all interelated and not just about more engine power, or better suspension etc. It's the whole package of tuning and following a logical approach based on where you want to go and how much you have to spend.

Martin

Last edited:
  Charged Superleggera
dont think i woudl go own this route but would be a great project if i could be arsed with it. think a 172 engine will be on the cards soon

Charged Superleggera
true but ive got the car looking as i want it and have already spend thousands on it in last year and a bit so isnt really about money although i see your point

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I take it the thousands went into improving the running gear and braking system. Kiano(martin) had a very good point. 1.2 suspension and brakes were never designed with performance in mind. If the thousands went into a big ICE install and lairy body kit then you'll be pissing into the wind. This venture, if it is to happen, will only be worth while if you are racing your car in a set class in my opinion

Titanium 182
true but ive got the car looking as i want it and have already spend thousands on it in last year and a bit so isnt really about money although i see your point

Engine transplant.
£2k or something from ktec.
Done.

ITB'd MK1
I take it the thousands went into improving the running gear and braking system. Kiano(martin) had a very good point. 1.2 suspension and brakes were never designed with performance in mind. If the thousands went into a big ICE install and lairy body kit then you'll be pissing into the wind. This venture, if it is to happen, will only be worth while if you are racing your car in a set class in my opinion

brakes are the same as the williams, so not that bad TBH. Suspension is easy, Most people change that on a 172 anyway so what's the difference??

Projects like this are about the building, more than the finished product. I'm VERY interested

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Don't get me wrong, I say go for it. Nothing beats embarrasing larger engined cars. Been there and done it myself and it bloody great fun. My Vee is brilliant to drive but a 200+ bhp 1.4 Mini is just the biggest hoot!!

If im honest im not as familiar with the smaller engined reno's as most on here but was just trying to make a point that brakes and running gear should be thought of before adding a s**t load more poke.