ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension springs...anyone seen anything like these?!

Clio 172
Having a mini panic! Recently bought a Clio sport 172 and have limited knowledge of the cars so on first inspection was pretty happy with everything and went and bought it!

now...after looking around on the forum and the internet I can't find any coil springs that look like mine and I'm worried that they are some sort of terrible bodge job and I'm going to die in a fire ball of burning French tin!

anyone seen lowering springs like these?! Are these custome jobs?! My car is low, iv not had chance to check the front springs yet...

3C282D46-91DB-45EB-BC15-6F62CD58BF24_zpsvouhpomx.jpg

7C496904-9647-460D-A425-3BCE8506BAA7_zpsvytuvtou.jpg

F490225C-1EE5-4DC1-B4A2-0E3475E2EF66_zps2wr2vftu.jpg

basically, should I be worried or do I need to stop being such a vagina and just enjoy the fact it's got lows!! Haha.

Jack

ps...if these are some shocking bodge job, don't be flaming me, this is my first Clio and I have no idea what is normal and not so bought on face condition and what looked normal at the time!

Clio 172
In my opinion id be putting them in the bin.

That's not a brilliant start! I want to change them but tyres are a priority at the moment. Was hoping the answers would be they are just cheap lowering springs...not bin fodder! Haha.

Jack

Clio 172
If I was you I'd change them to a well known brand just for piece of mind

Thats the long term plan. I'm just wanting to know what these are that are fitted for now. I initially thought they might be cut when I started looking but then...to cut them, bend them to new pig tails and then power coat them black...surly new springs would be cheaper!!

Jack

172 cup
They don't look right at all. I would be changing them quickly if I were you. Plent of standard or aftermarket springs on here and eBay

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
they just look bent to me, guessing they have so few coils in them that they have simply given up under load

buy a cheap set of standard springs from the classifieds, they are very easy to change with basic tools, don't even need spring compressors to do the job on a 1*2

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
they just look bent to me, guessing they have so few coils in them that they have simply given up under load

buy a cheap set of standard springs from the classifieds, they are very easy to change with basic tools, don't even need spring compressors to do the job on a 1*2

Agreed, its literally 5 mins a side.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Look like they have been cut down. Definately be getting a new set over tyres myself if funds are tight...

don't agree, they look like they are made that height, both the pigtails are there as they should be, they just seem very low quality and ludicrously low

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
don't agree, they look like they are made that height, both the pigtails are there as they should be, they just seem very low quality and ludicrously low

Agreed, although I guess its possible they could have heated them super hot and recurled the pigtails, seems unlikely though.

Either way get them off your car is my advice.

Clio 172
Update: I have sent pictures over to the guys at Birchdown Autos and they have confirmed that these are home brew springs. Would appear the standard coils have been cut and then heated and bent to fit. While they look secure the spring rate remains the same so the car bottoms out pretty easily. They clearly have a case of "Phantom Limb" where they belive they are longer than thay are. I expect the front coils to be much the same butchery and I will be contacting the dealer i got the car from asking if they knew. They told me the car was having a new coil fitted on the day I purchased it, but failed to mention that they would be cutting it to lower the car, I was lead to believe the car had been fitted with lowering springs and they were fitting a like for like coil...Bunch of cowboys!

Luckily a member on here, p@blo, lives locally and has seen my predicament and offered up a set of 182 cup coils front and rear that I will be collecting at the earliest opportunity. I will then be fitting them ASAP to fix the butchery that has be done to my poor little 172! I will get a project blog going as soon as the work starts! This was meant to be a buy it and drive it car...but i guess that wont be happening any more! haha.

Jack

Clio 172
Well this is all moving very quickly! Haha. Full set of 182 cup springs ready to go on and replace the terrible cut jobs that are on the car.

802B112B-53F9-4D46-AEAC-31A416E2B69C_zpsjh5e0nto.jpg

p@blo is a top guy! Cheers for sorting me out pal! If you ever sell the Speedlines off you black 172 give me a shout! They were bloody lovely!

Jack

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
No worries Jack, glad to help out. Give me a shout if you need a hand swapping them over.

Scarie stuff:S, good to see you've got it sorted, there some helpful and clever people on the forum.

Regards Russ...........

Clio 172
Scarie stuff:S, good to see you've got it sorted, there some helpful and clever people on the forum.

Regards Russ...........

Scary indeed. Will be fitting them all tomorrow. After washing the car today I have left my top nuts soaking in a bath of WD40 and got the impact gun on charge to try and pop them off tomorrow! Heard they were a pig to get off so thought I would prep for it.

I'm going to contact the garage I got the car from asking for an invoice for the "new coil" they fitted on the day of collection, and if they send me one, I will then be contacting them again asking why they knowingly sold me a car with cut springs?! Iv honestly never seen a dealer willing to cut corners like this before. Especially considering a set of coils for the car cost £30 secondhand! I would avoid Nottingham Auto Point in the future, or at least go over any car they are selling with an open eye! I just didn't know much about Clios and thought these coils were just lowering springs!

Clio 172
Coils swapped.

before...
image_zps65c0cf76.jpg

image_zps1495f667.jpg

after...
2e7412a95027cf809a48475a5bf1431e_zpsfef8b9fa.jpg

e9d23cf6e7c7b14209046b6cfd9fea79_zpsf141fb0b.jpg

The springs in question, side by side.
0f81c30bcccca4f4668022516e2a94f7_zps80ac15c2.jpg

Car drives loads better. It Would also be good to get new top mounts and dampers fitted in the future as everything should come off easy in the future now, it's all greased up and cleaned up to make working on the car easier for the future. But for now, the car is road worthy!

Jack

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Those springs don't look cut to me. They just look mullered in the initial photos.

Cup springs are a good investment though and the ones you got look almost brand new! lucky sod :) Just about to put them on mine

Clio 172
Those springs don't look cut to me. They just look mullered in the initial photos.

Cup springs are a good investment though and the ones you got look almost brand new! lucky sod :) Just about to put them on mine

They were cut to a very high standard...if thats possible?! You could see where the original coil had been cut and not smoothed off with a rough edge, and under the black paint you could see the distress marks where the metal had been heated and bent around to make the "pig tail". Much happier with the Cup Springs, I will be investing in new top mounts and some 172 cup dampers after iv had the cam belt and tyres sorted! Then i'm hoping to leave the car well enough alone and just enjoy driving it! haha.