ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swap D40x for D60

Tappd'd RS
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice here. I've broken the autofocus on my 18-55mm lens on my D40x (it still works if I manually focus) so I was going to buy the 18-55mm VR lens to replace it, then I had a thought.

I'm going to LA next month so can get a D60 with the 18-55mm VR lens at the airport for about £350 and then sell the D40x body and faulty 18-55mm lens (obviously telling the potential buyers that the lens is faulty) when I come back.

I don't think my lens would be covered by warranty as I think I bumped it. Anyway, I need the new lens a fortnight today to go to the states with me so sending it away just now isn't really an option.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Megane Mk4
There is no real difference between the D40x and the D60 tbh.. (nothing really worth mentioning anyway..)
Actually, from reading various articles on it, the D60 is worse tbh.. One review of many..

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The D60 is less sensitive to light then the D40 (its default ISO is only ISO 100 compared to the D40's default ISO of 200). Its less sensitive to light because the pixels have to be made smaller to cram more of them into the same-sized sensor. Smaller pixels collect fewer photons than larger pixels. Since the D60 is half as light sensitive, the D60 has to use twice as long a shutter speed or a larger aperture, which makes it more likely to make a blurry picture than the D40. OOPS![/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Save your money and get the D40 instead. The D40's faster sync speed is invaluable for use with flash outdoors, and the extra light sensitivity in normal use will help make sharper pictures. These three cameras (D40, D40x, D60) otherwise, for most users, are identical. Compare them in person and you'll see. Megapixels don't matter. [/FONT]
The only upside really is you get a VR lens standard on the D60 instead of the DX GII lens you get on the D40/x versions.

Also, the warranty covers lenses, but.. are you sure its broke? Could you have accidently turned off the setting of Auto Focus in the menu on the camera?

Please don't quote Ken Rockwell lol.

I'm so very confused, is he saying the D60 has a default ISO 100 and the D40 has default 200 or is he saying that the ISO default on the D60 is 200 but its less sensitive and equivalent to 100? wtf. Nothing wrong with having ISO 100, when with one click its 200 and hey presto that half the shutter speed situation is corrected.

Sums him up really...
Auto ISO makes all the ISO adjustments for you. I always use Auto ISO since it's as smart as I am.

On topic just stick with the D40 and buy a better lens with the money saved.

Rally bus
I thought the D60 and D40 used the same sensor type so not sure how one is more light sensitive than the other. Ken Rockwell talks bollox sometimes....

Tappd'd RS
Also, the warranty covers lenses, but.. are you sure its broke? Could you have accidently turned off the setting of Auto Focus in the menu on the camera?

Hi Mate, I've been into all the focus options and the only one that actually lets me take pictures is the manual focus. I then have to flick the switch on the lens to allow me to make manual adjustments. I might try and get it replaced / fixed under warranty when I come back from the states but I'll need to buy a new lens for the trip.

Thanks for all the replies - i'll just stick with the D40x.

Cheers.