ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tail light ground wire torn, how can I fix this?

CLio 172
Hey guys, so I was doing a ph2 tail light conversion on my ph1 and did it properly on the driver side and rushed through the passenger side and accidentally tore the black ground wire. The rest of the wires are intact, however without this ground wire, the tail light doesn't work...

I stripped the outer wire and twisted the inner copper wires to fix the tear but still doesn't work? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Sounds like you need to solder the two ends of the torn wire. Either that or crimp them together. If you need to buy the equipment then go for the soldering iron, solder but also get shrink tube to insulate the exposed wire.

CLio 172
Sounds like you need to solder the two ends of the torn wire. Either that or crimp them together. If you need to buy the equipment then go for the soldering iron, solder but also get shrink tube to insulate the exposed wire.
Thank you, will give this a go tomorrow!

CLio 172
So I've soldered the wires together and it still doesn't work... It seems all indicator lights on the car don't work now, and when I indicate, the blinker sound is really fast instead of blinking at the usual speed? There is also no blinker light showing on the dash as it should be?

I think I may have blown a fuse because I tried reconnecting the old ph1 tail light in and the lights still don't work.
Any thoughts? Thank you!

2012 clio 1.2 tce
It sounds like you’ve lost the connection to chassis from the light cluster, have you checked continuity from chassis to the actual lamp cluster? Do you have a multimeter?

CLio 172
It sounds like you’ve lost the connection to chassis from the light cluster, have you checked continuity from chassis to the actual lamp cluster? Do you have a multimeter?
I do have a multimeter, how can I check this please? Thank you

Also, the brake lights still work, just not the indicators, including the front and side indicators

Last edited:
  2012 clio 1.2 tce
Had you tested it after converting the first light? (before you broke the wire)
Can you go backwards and put it back to what it was?

2012 clio 1.2 tce
The front and rear earth connections on the clusters are not connected so if the problem was just an earth wire on the back, the front should still work, so either something is shorted or miswired or there's a fuse blown. Side fusebox, F22 15A have you checked that fuse, 4th row down, 6 along, blue

CLio 172
The front and rear earth connections on the clusters are not connected so if the problem was just an earth wire on the back, the front should still work, so either something is shorted or miswired or there's a fuse blown. Side fusebox, F22 15A have you checked that fuse, 4th row down, 6 along, blue
Hey thanks everyone for the help. The problem turned out to be a bad earth not from the tail light side but from the earth connection to the car itself underneath the trunk plastic thing. So glad its sorted :)

2012 clio 1.2 tce
So the front was working but flashing fast? Glad it's sorted.
If you want to learn how to use a multimeter to check continuity watch this, it'll come in useful.
You don't need an expensive multimeter but check first it has the bleep facility.
This one < link is good enough and not very expensive.