ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tennis Promotional Shots

Ian

Focus TDCi
I've been asked completely out of the blue to take some photos to be used on a website for a tennis club that my Uncle and Aunty play at. I don't really know the full story behind it, except that I'm needed for an hour on Sunday.

I've been looking around at tennis websites, but none of them are really that inspiring.. not even Wimbledon's! I've had a look on Flickr and have a few ideas from there, but I was just looking for some input. I think maybe Flickr type photos might not be the answer.

So what sort of shots would you expect to see on a tennis website? Camera settings and lens choices would be welcome. I'm a bit restricted, only having an 18-55 kit lens and 50mm f/1.8.

Thanks,
Ian

Rally bus
tennis-girl

Rally bus
Are the shots meant to be promoting the club i.e. facilities etc or are they just wanting action shots?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Ah yes that ol' peach :p Full size on the home page should get them a few more visitors lol.

I assume they'll want shots of the facilities etc as well. I think they're redesigning the website or something. Probably a bit of both.

Rally bus
If it's for a website then I expect it'll mainly be capturing the facilities, clubhouse, bar, changing rooms and so on, nowt particularly creative or arty farty.

Maybe go for a low wide angle shot of someone serving for the action shot and a more general shot of the courts.

Close up of racket with 50mm @ f1.8.

Close up of tennis ball.

Group shot of people sat at a table enjoying a drink etc etc

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers for the advice Gary; I tried out a few things today (just got back). They were a friendly bunch and it was nothing serious, which I was glad of. It turns out my Uncle is basically redoing their website for them and he needed some photos for it. Can't find their website to see what's already on it though which is a bit worrying lol.

I tried to stay away from the arty shots, but I think I ended up going too far the other way, the shots seem soo boring! I've never felt so restricted by my lenses either, nothing wide enough to get full room shots and nothing long enough to get action shots. Lack of a tripod was a massive pain, too. There wasn't really chance to set anything up either, as I could tell they hadn't been told to expect me.

I'll try and get some shots up soon.

Rally bus
Boring is sometimes what people want though. Last month M-Sport wanted mugshots of the crews in the Fiesta rally championship... they didn't want anything arty farty, just bog standard mugshots... now I'd have loved to mess around with the lighting and so on but then the customer would not have got what they asked for... so loads of creativity isn't always what is wanted no matter how boring we, as photographers, think the shots look.

You're going to end up with a bag full of different lenses ;)

Ian

Focus TDCi
Boring is sometimes what people want though. Last month M-Sport wanted mugshots of the crews in the Fiesta rally championship... they didn't want anything arty farty, just bog standard mugshots... now I'd have loved to mess around with the lighting and so on but then the customer would not have got what they asked for... so loads of creativity isn't always what is wanted no matter how boring we, as photographers, think the shots look.

You're going to end up with a bag full of different lenses ;)

Aye fair point, it's sometimes easy to get into a certain style of photography, so I quite like trying new things. It just doesn't always feel right, especially when people are looking to you for their photos lol. If I could afford lenses I'd already have an UWA and a 700-200 f/4 L and a 1.4x and tripod too.. need a job!

Here's one photo anyway, just a bit of messing with levels and a crop, not the version that I'll be giving them, but anyway:

3415325062_cf776fb1ee.png

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers Fletcher. :) I probably won't put any more up til I've sent them what they want, but I don't think they'll be too bothered about exclusivity lol. If I process any others I'll stick them up on my second Flickr page.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Cheers Sy. :)

Right these will have to be the last two, or else I'll get carried away editing like this and forget to be sensible with them!

3418692904_d345d863db.jpg

3418017467_3262e2ca2d.jpg

Ian

Focus TDCi
nice shots mate!
I really need a DSLR :(

Cheers!

As for getting a DSLR, go for it.. I've loved having one for the three months I've had it. However, it can be very expensive. It starts off as one camera and one lens, but if you're not careful it slowly progresses to a multitude of lenses with assorted filters and hoods, a big tripod, a small tripod, a bag, memory cards, flashes.. the list is endless! Definitely worth it though. ;)

Rally bus

Nice shot... but if the idea is to promote the club then perhaps it would've been better with people sat at the tables as otherwise it looks like nobody goes to the club! I think the image the club will want to portray is that it's a place where people have an enjoyable time so a few folk at the tables having a drink etc may have added to the shot. Just my thoughts anyway.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Lol I totally agree, but there was nobody in there at any point while I was in there.. they were all out playing tennis. I tried just making it look clean as though it was just a shot of the facilities.. will see what they think anyway. Got quite a few shots of them all playing tennis, so at least that shows the social side of it i guess?

Just seen this, loving the shots you've shared with us, look very clean and professional imo. Agree that the Cafe shot would look better with people but still perfectly good as it is. Top work.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Just seen this, loving the shots you've shared with us, look very clean and professional imo. Agree that the Cafe shot would look better with people but still perfectly good as it is. Top work.

Thanks Chris, it was a steep learning curve and I didn't quite get to where I wanted to be with them, but I'm glad people like them. :)

Very nice!!

Which DSLR?

Lol, you should just set up a poll. :) I use a Canon 450d and these were taken with the 18-55mm kit lens and then put through Lightroom.