ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test Drove the 182..

German Barge

well, test drove one of these yesterday for the first time.

I was not that impressed with it in black.. always have liked the look of them, but in black... im just not sure.

Was speaking to a guy who drinks in the pub (works for renault), and i am seriously considering a Trophy.. now before i go into details of the test drive, i would really want to know IF there is that much of a difference between the 182 and the trophy?

The 182 i drove had xenons, and the works, cruise control, pretty much everything... was really nice inside, but instantly i noticed how much higher and more upright you sit compared the the valver i have. I was a little bit shocked, as the low down torque/pull was not as great i was expecting? Maybe, like whenever you have to drive someone elses car, you have to "get to know it" as it were before you can judge? However, what shocked me even more was the VVT, and the 5k kick!! bloody hell, it does kick... more so than the valver (2.0)... but once again, not sure if it was as quick as my car. Dunno if its just the "feel" as obviously a valver is a lot more raw, where as you have refinement with the 182, so it may feel slower?

As for handling, was impressed with the traction control, and how little torque steer it had, and it did glide nicely round corners, not like the new corsas where the steering is so light, you can glide with one finger - just right in my opinion, so you still get a feel for the road....

overall, was happy with it BUT not overly impressed, hense my question, will the Trophy be any better??

tiTTy & SV650

trophy will turn in better and have less body roll and basically feel better. The trophy has recaros too so u get to sit a bit lower, but these are an option on full fat 182s too should u want all the toys.

German Barge

aye... has anyone gone from say a williams to a 172/182? just really need to get your opinions.... is it simply the rawness that gives that "edge" to it feeling faster when it actaully isnt...

im also assuming the way the 172/182 drive in terms of the engine revving, etc differs to the valvers/williams.

Yaris Hybrid

My 182 was rubbish when it was new, totally gutless at low revs but gets a lot better when it runs in. Dunno how many miles the one you test drove had?

German Barge

good point mate........ didnt look, but now you have mentioned it i think it may have only been on 5000!!!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

I went for a test drive of a 182 yesterday & a CTR Both were GREAT cars - But, I went back today and put a deposit on the 182 with both cup packs. Cant wait now to get it! 3-5 days before my cheque clears in my account lol.

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.

Coming from a 1.2 clio I am fine with the driving position.
I really cant wait to get it now though :D

Golf R/Leon FR

youll love it i stepped up from a 1.2 to a 172, took a few days 2 get used to it especially the torque steer in the lower gears.

just take it easy and be sensible dont want to write it off!!!!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

..... why dont you explain what does cause the 5k kick rather than just say its not the VVT.

BMW 120i Sport

I have to say when i test drove the 182 (i had a 1.6 Fiesta Zetec-S at the time), it did feel like it lacked torque at low rpm, but then i realised you need to rag the tits off it; then its certainly quick enough.

It does make you work hard in the gears to get the most of it.

Quote: Originally posted by optical on 21 July 2005

..... why dont you explain what does cause the 5k kick rather than just say its not the VVT.
its the car coming on cam as oppesed to some magical VVT that actually does f**k all but stop the car sounding lumpy at idle do to wild cams being used as standard. The VVT is not like I-VTEC that some people seem to compare it with, as 172 cams dont have cam lobes that expand at certain RPM... its French FFS! lol

German Barge

yeh, well, im going up renault on saturday to seriously talk about the trophy option - gonna check insurance out as well...

i may even take one out again, as my experience in one was very limited... and i didnt really get a chance to test it properly.