ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

That 5K RPM Kick

A Real Cup
Afternoon,Slightly abusing the works internet access...oh well, im over it.I know we all experience a 'kick' when we hit the 5K mark in RS's but I wouldn't exactly describe mine as a definate kick, its more subtle, only just noticeable. :(Anyway, what I want to know is, how much of a kick do you guys get? is it really distinguishable?Is there some attention that my engine may need to restore this? Manifold matching for e.g.ThanksSi

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its when the vvt turns on. Honest and its not just coming on cam honest.

Honest.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i get a slight kick at 4k in my 1.2 lol
isnt it something to do with the 2nd cam kicking in ?>

It's just the engine coming on cam. FFS it doesn't even have two cam profiles, just variable timing, and that happens at around 1500rpm IIRC :) It's not even the same sport as Hondas iVtec, where an actual second cam profile is used on the Vtec kick-in point.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
With roy you always get what someone just said, plus a little bit extra.

Lovely.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
no no carry on i love your techincal comparisons. im a bit damp actually.

with regards to the VVT it does nothing but help the car idle smoothly due to the fairly wild cams they run as standard as far as I know. the 5k kick is probably more of a tickle too than anything else, it's not like the shove you get from a turbo thats for sure.

^
I agree, having driven a mk2 172 loads of times the 5k that people rave on about doesn't seem great at all:(
The other thing i've noticed that at 5k upwards the car (which is totally standard,standard exhaust etc) is really loud inside:dapprove: In fact its quite unbearable.

cat171 said:
^
I agree, having driven a mk2 172 loads of times the 5k that people rave on about doesn't seem great at all:(
The other thing i've noticed that at 5k upwards the car (which is totally standard,standard exhaust etc) is really loud inside:dapprove: In fact its quite unbearable.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I know someone who says his old 172(MkII) didnt really have a 5k kick compared to his 182. Not sure if there's a pattern. Unbearable noise? You sure that's not a split cat? Mine was like that when the cat decided to fall apart.

M140i/Orange 182
mines quite noticeable indeed, more in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear perhaps i got a good one ;)

i was told that it is the cams moving buy 11deg, and the new 197 move 19deg hence why its got more power, was told this. not my opionion lol

16v
TheJesus said:
along with any performance you may have ever had... forget Superchips and get a remap mate, WORLD of difference.

www.chipwizards.co.uk

This is the man to do the std ECU... Reno need never know ;)

Thats for sure and most of the times it works out cheaper.

Cant wait for the rolling road on the 8th of october.

255 V6 Black Gold
the kick i get is very good, the change in sound is also really really good

suggest you all get a decat, makes a big difference so so cheap price if you ask me.

haha

I seem to get a shove at 5k more than a kick... the kick comes in at 6k and then again at 7k... but I usually change gear about that time as traffic tends to be coming at me a bit quick :evil:

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)
I get a kick at 5Krp, usually comes from the passenger seat though!

Nah seriously, the kick in my Cup is alot more pronounced than in the FF version I used to have. Nothing compared to the kick in the S2k though!

(Woohoo, my first use of FF in a thread!)

RS Clio 172 Ph1
Dave Cli02 said:
Mine disappeared with the Superchip.

.. is the Superchip worth it? was thinking of getting mine done. Is it a big noticable difference, does it use more fuel, is it smoother running and on idle? be interested to know, thanks

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
i drove a ctr the other month, and the vtec kick seemed to be just alot of noise to me, no more pronounced shove than in my cup tbh

agree there, it's good in the passenger seat, but driving it your hard pressed to notice anything... now and ITR is a different story!

A Real Cup
I know the whole ins and outs of why it does it but is there anthing we can do to enhance the change at 5k...a bigger kick...lucky turbo drivers need not open their mouth! :rasp:

I want an ECU remap but don't know enough about all the options. Plus i want manifold mathing and sports cat first!!:evil:

MINI JCW
The 5k kick in my 182 is very noticeable and at that point the car starts to torque steer.

At the time when I 1st got the 182 my bro had a 330ci and the 1st time he drove the 182 I can remember him saying "f**in hell" as the rev counter got to 5k, he was certainly suprised by it.

I must admit though the car i test drove didnt seem to have as big kick as the one I own, or maybe thats just my bad memory

Nissan 350Z
gt_gaz said:
i drove a ctr the other month, and the vtec kick seemed to be just alot of noise to me, no more pronounced shove than in my cup tbh
Thats what i felt when i drove one. Very disappointng given all the hype they get on here. The kick in my 182 was stronger. I'd say most of the time, it was noticable, maybe not quite as much as a highly tuned big turbo, but certainly very noticable urge.

But as i said in my previous posts, it seems to vary. Some days it feels a bit disappointing, other days it takes your head off!

Oh and LMAO at the comment about a hot hatch being too loud when its revved - dont buy a TVR then :D maybe a Volkswagen Passat would be more your thing!

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Everyone seems to have their explanation of the 5k kick. For me its the realisation of torque-steer coming up to peak horse power and then bang. A mental think? Possibly...