ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 10000th Lowering Springs Question..

Renault Clio Mk2
So I know its been asked 1000 times before, but just want to double check before I order anything!
Basically I've got 1 mk2ph2 1.2 Clio on the standard 15s.
From reading on here I think i've decided on 60mm drop as everyones saying 40mm isnt worth it, but im slightly worried about speedbumps or rubbing with a fullish car, (can't fit 5 in a clio anyways). Should i be concerned or will it be fine?
another question.. will the shocks be ok standard? i know people say not to go over 40mm without upgrading the shocks. problem is mainly budget though to be honest, and i'm saving for a 197 atm so don't wanna blow the non-existent bank (i'm 17 haha)

also what are some decent 60mm springs for a budget of £120.

cheers guys!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Personally, I would keep it standard and save your money for the 197.
You will just get annoyed after a big drop like that once you start scraping the bumper off everything.
Trust me, I did it at 17.
Plus your going to need to pay to get them fitted (unless you know how of course) so put that into your budget aswell.

Renault Clio Mk2
Personally, I would keep it standard and save your money for the 197.
You will just get annoyed after a big drop like that once you start scraping the bumper off everything.
Trust me, I did it at 17.
Plus your going to need to pay to get them fitted (unless you know how of course) so put that into your budget aswell.
is it that bad?:/
problem is i get bored and just need to tinker and mess with things haha! would love to learn how to properly work with cars, but i've not got the space for buying a shitbox and fixing it up.
I'd be able to fit them myself, argh i just don't know anymore haha

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Its as bad as you make it :)
Lowering 60mm and then having 3 or 4 mates in the car is going to be a bit scrapey to be honest.
Its up to you mate, I'm just offering advice. There are a few 1.2 owners on here so maybe ask them what drop they went for and see what you like the look of.

Renault Clio Mk2
Its as bad as you make it :smile:
Lowering 60mm and then having 3 or 4 mates in the car is going to be a bit scrapey to be honest.
Its up to you mate, I'm just offering advice. There are a few 1.2 owners on here so maybe ask them what drop they went for and see what you like the look of.
yeah man! well it sounds like a good excuse for not taxi'ing everyone around tbf:wink: i think i'll go for the 60mm and if it's too much then i'm sure i'll be able to sell them on and not lose too much money! cheers :smile:

Clio 2.0 16v 182
60mm is nothing. I've seen 1.2 owners trying to get cheap coilies because they've still got arch gap. Upgrading the shocks is worth it but if you buy proper springs the extra passengers won't make it scrape.

182 Inferno
I dropped my old 1.6 40mm, which I was glad about as I was undecided on 40 or 60mm. If I had gone 60mm ny car wouldn't have been drivable at all, even at 40mm its a bit too much!

Renault Clio Mk2
60mm is nothing. I've seen 1.2 owners trying to get cheap coilies because they've still got arch gap. Upgrading the shocks is worth it but if you buy proper springs the extra passengers won't make it scrape.
I think i'd prefer to save that money, probably just got down the 40mm route, cheaper, safer and easier! if not as nice looking:/

Renault Clio Mk2
I dropped my old 1.6 40mm, which I was glad about as I was undecided on 40 or 60mm. If I had gone 60mm ny car wouldn't have been drivable at all, even at 40mm its a bit too much!
probably going to do the same mate, you got any photos?

Renault Clio Mk2
awesome!:p i'd love to see the difference compared to stock haha, might have to drive around with them on till i find an identical but stock car;)

I dropped my 1.6 running 17s 40mm. Didn't have any issues untill carrying 3+ people. When i say issues, only read issue were speed bumps etc.

Listerine & Poledo
So, you're trying to save for a high-insurance car and, to this end, you're going to pour money into your 1.2?
If you're not spanner-handy, then you'll need someone to fit the stuff, and then re-align the car so you're not immediately taking the tread off of your tyres. The springs will be the cheapest link in the chain

Don't forget to tell your insurers, they may well have something to say about it which may make you think twice.

Indeed, just drive the car about and get some no claims bonus up

So, you're trying to save for a high-insurance car and, to this end, you're going to pour money into your 1.2?
If you're not spanner-handy, then you'll need someone to fit the stuff, and then re-align the car so you're not immediately taking the tread off of your tyres. The springs will be the cheapest link in the chain

Don't forget to tell your insurers, they may well have something to say about it which may make you think twice.

Indeed, just drive the car about and get some no claims bonus up

This definitely. I had a lot of disposable income in my younger days so did pour money into a 1.6. Wish i hadn't and saved it to buy a quicker car faster.

Listerine & Poledo
This definitely. I had a lot of disposable income in my younger days so did pour money into a 1.6. Wish i hadn't and saved it to buy a quicker car faster.
Thing is, at that age, you don't listen to reason.
Have car, must mod, must McDrift, must subwoofer, must monster stickers.
I did differently. 5 years of entry-level corsa then straight to V6 Coupes with the money saved from not pissing it away. The Fiestas and Clios with big exhausts and lows weren't so tasty then, but the owners had spent all their moneys on their shopping trolley mods.

Renault Clio Mk2
Thing is, at that age, you don't listen to reason.
Have car, must mod, must McDrift, must subwoofer, must monster stickers.
I did differently. 5 years of entry-level corsa then straight to V6 Coupes with the money saved from not pissing it away. The Fiestas and Clios with big exhausts and lows weren't so tasty then, but the owners had spent all their moneys on their shopping trolley mods.
Yah I think I'm just going to leave as is, after all its only a year and then I'll be getting my 197 altho I do have a sub in the boot haha

Listerine & Poledo
Yah I think I'm just going to leave as is, after all its only a year and then I'll be getting my 197 altho I do have a sub in the boot haha
You're going to get a 197 at the tender age of 18? I look forward to seeing your insurance quotes fella ;)

As for subs......I can say nothing....I like a bit of bass

Renault Clio Mk2
You're going to get a 197 at the tender age of 18? I look forward to seeing your insurance quotes fella :wink:

As for subs......I can say nothing....I like a bit of bass
It's about 4'000 so yeah.. Haha I'm too inpatient to wait any longer haha (probably get roasted for saying that) and yeah, 1'700 for the 1.2 haha

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I waited until 21 to get anything with power. Up to then I had Corsa's, Pug 309, 4 x Mini's etc.

Just after my 21st Birthday I went and bought a Fiat Punto GT and only paid £300 a year to insure it. This was back in 2001 though.

It really is worth waiting

Listerine & Poledo
Probably get my second year ncb to take it down below the 2k mark
Yeah, keep hoping fella. lol
Just get the NCB on the board first, before worrying about changing to something else. Indeed, unless you like paying insurance, hold fire on your modifiations too.
Without sounding too defeatist, it's your first motor, you're a young driver. There's enough stories on here alrady that go like this
- YAY I've passed my test and got a Clio
- Gunna apply mods to this car whilst saving for something better
- WOoo! look at how I've thrown ££££££ at this 1.2, how cool am I!?
- Is this damage enoguh to be a write-off?